PDA

View Full Version : 40-60 winchester

bobspang
02-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Do any of you guys have a load for the 40-60 winchester ?

I am shooting a winchester 1876 repro. , I made some cases from starline 45-70 cases.

I do not have any loading books that give loads for that round. So I went to Cartilages of the world and they list 210 gr. cast bullet with 21 grs. fo 4198 .

So I loaded up 50 and went to the range , I put one in the gun and shot it , there was no recoil and very little noise , and no shot on the target , I pulled the case and the bullet was gone , so i look down that barrell and it was clear , I though that I may have loaded the case with no powder {very unlikey but any thing can happen }

I then shot a few more and the power charge was just enouf to get the bullet out of the barrell. So I pulled the bullets and nead to start over.

I am hoping that some one out there can give me a starting load.

Thanks,

Bob Spangler

versifier
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Welcome to Gunloads Bob.

HMCC lists the same load from the same source. Neither Hodgedon, Sierra, nor Lee has any data at all on it. I have to get new Lyman manuals, both of mine have been borrowed and not returned, but that is where I think you will find what you're looking for. Hopefully one of the guys here with more reliable friends will take a look in his and see if there are some loads for you. I would also ask next door at Cast Boolits.