PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X51MM Ball

WAHO
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I have run into a problem with surplus ammo for my .308 winchester. The brass is marked BF 79-62 the problem is decapping the brass, There is no center hole for removing the primer, this brass has 2 holes and not in the center. Does anyone have any idea how I might remove the fired primers so I can reload this brass.

versifier
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Welcome to Gunloads.

The problem is that the brass you have is designed for Berdan primers. Even if the replacement primers were readily available in this country, trying to decap and reprime them is more hassle than it is worth. You cannot process it with standard dies. There are tools available for decapping it, but it is difficult and very time consuming (2-3 minutes per case - the fastest method involves filling the case with water and using hydraulic pressure to decap). Berdan primers have no anvil as our more familiar Boxer primers do, the anvil is part of the case's primer pocket. Personally I toss all such brass in the recycling bucket and try to buy only Boxer primed ammo on the rare occasions when I actually buy loaded ammo. .308 cases are common enough that decent once-fired cases are usually available for minimal cost.

WAHO
02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
thanks for the info. I had never run into this kind of amo before.