PDA

View Full Version : reviews on the weatherby vanguard in 270 wsm

257 ROB
02-28-2009, 03:32 PM
I would like to know how this rifle and more importantly this cartridge perform on deer and elk sized game? I will be hunting in southern alberta so there are some open plains and my 257 roberts just doesn't have it for elk.

versifier
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Welcome to Gunloads.

If the regular .270 is more than enough for elk hunting, the wsm should be able to give you some extra yards if you put in sufficient paractice time with it at the range at the distances you will be hunting. It doesn't help if the rifle can do it but the shooter hasn't practiced offhand enough and can't hit the pieplate way out there.

You need to keep in mind that bullets are designed to perform within specific velocity ranges. One that would expand properly in a deer at 300yds might blow up at close ranges. When in doubt, contact the bullet maker for the design specs of a particular bullet so you know at what velocities it is suitable for different game and check a ballistic table to tell what ranges it will be traveling within that velocity envelope.

Are you loading for it yourself or using factory ammo? The last time I was looking at the prices on factory ammo I almost... well, politely put it was rather shocking. That alone would make me lean towards the regular .270 or the good old .30-06

The Vangard has a good reputation for accuracy and reliability, but each one is different and you have to try it out with the ammo you want to use and see what its opinion is.

I agree that the .257Bob is marginal for elk, but careful bullet selection and shot placement can make it usable at realistic ranges, though it would not be my first choice. It is still a great all around deer hunting cartridge.

257 ROB
03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
I will be reloading for it myself so I have some choices there but, you are right about factory ammo prices they are a little crazy. What do you think of a 130Gr sierra game king for all around use at that velocity?

versifier
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Sierra GameKings. They should hire me; I send so much business their way. ;) I load them in many different calibers for everything up to and including moose. (No elk in NH, sorry.) I have used them happily for more than 35 years and have found that about 95% of the rifles I have tried them in shot them as well or better than the competition. In my .22-250 and in my .308 they are just as accurate at very long ranges as MatchKings, and that makes me even more confident in the field. To be honest, the occasional rifle does not get along with them, so it always pays to try different brands. (And then sell the rifle. Just kidding. :mrgreen: )

What I do not know is the velocity range that particular bullet was designed to work in. (I believe it was designed for deer sized game in the regular .270, but I don't know that for certain.) But that is easily remedied. Call Sierra's Tech Line at 800-223-8799 M-F 8-8CT or email them at sierra@sierrabullets.com Ask them specifically about that bullet (#1820) in the .270wsm and they will tell you what you need to know. IMO 130gr might be a bit light for elk, but there is also the 140gr GK (#1845) and the 150gr GK (#1840). It might just come down to which one the rifle shoots best. Let us know what they have to say.

Here's some food for thought:
Current wisdom is that with any cup and core bullets you want to avoid quartering shots on large game (bigger than deer) especially at longer ranges. That's a lot of bone and muscle to ask that kind of bullet to drill through. Not to say they would not do the job, but if they were going to fail, that's when it would happen. Nosler Partitions may be a better choice performance-wise, but many rifles don't shoot them accurately, and for a long range shot, that might put them "out of the pieplate". You'd have to try them in your rifle to find out. Premium bullets don't come cheap, especially these days, but I would consider trying some different ones to get your rifle's opinion. Barnes TSX and Speer Grand Slam would be on my list. When you are traveling a long way for a special hunt, the ammo is the least expensive part of it, so it makes sense to use the best as long as your rifle will shoot them accurately enough for range and conditions.

257 ROB
03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok thanks for the info, and what about the nosler ballistic tips do you have any experience with them?

versifier
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
They are another cup and core bullet. Their performance in game is on a par with other similar bullets. A lot of people really like them. I have tested them on paper in several different calibers and except in one rifle have found GK's to be more accurate, though often the difference is not enough to matter for large game. When asked to work up a load for a new deer rifle, they are one of the bullets I will often choose to see what it likes best. When I go for a Nosler bullet, it is usually a Partition when I need to insure performance, but I have nothing against BT's for most hunting. Again, it comes down to if your rifle likes them or not.

rokdog13
03-16-2009, 03:45 AM
I have the SUBMOA weatherby in .270 wizzum and shoot the lead free BARNES triple shock in 130 grain. Don't have alot of experience with the gun yet but I am very happy with its performance as far as accuracy and felt recoil go. The gun is comfortable and easy to shoot. Didnt get to hunt last season with it. My scope went bad and had to send it back to the factory for a warranty repair.
Got it sighted back in again and plan to shoot some more after I can buy some more ammo at $60 a box and find the time from work and the family.

257 ROB
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
yah the factory ammo is pretty expensive that is why i reload