PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Rifles

fireform
10-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I have a Navy Arms Rolling Block in 45-70 Gvt. Love the rifle. It is a dream to shoot, almost 14lbs of full octagon fun. It'll shoot one hole @ 100yds and a couple feet @1000, even with black powder handloads. It has a lot to do with that 34" bbl, 1 1/8" across the flats, the case hardened reciever is beautiful, bright colors. Only issue with it is that the breech end of the lands start with such a sharp edge that I get some lead buildup there with my own 500g hardcasts, but keep'em under about 1300fps and there is no fouling downbore.
Overall, it's one of the finest rifles I've ever been fortunate enough to experience. Anyone else have anything similar?

Oldbushman
10-08-2005, 04:56 AM
I have a Navy Arms Rolling Block in 45-70 Gvt. Love the rifle. It is a dream to shoot, almost 14lbs of full octagon fun. It'll shoot one hole @ 100yds and a couple feet @1000, even with black powder handloads. It has a lot to do with that 34" bbl, 1 1/8" across the flats, the case hardened reciever is beautiful, bright colors. Only issue with it is that the breech end of the lands start with such a sharp edge that I get some lead buildup there with my own 500g hardcasts, but keep'em under about 1300fps and there is no fouling downbore.
Overall, it's one of the finest rifles I've ever been fortunate enough to experience. Anyone else have anything similar?

I have had the very plesant experiance of using a Mates Sharps Plains rifle ,in 45-70 ! If I ever get the chance I would dearly love to ad one of the Navy arms line to my safe! As I reckon that they are top value for money .When compared to the price of a Sharps over here in Auz! I can think of no better way of spending a morning ,than using a big rifle ! With a really good round like the 45-70!:D

Dave

vmt_hntr
10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Sounds like ya got a real winner there with those shots at a hundred and elsewhere. Much to be said, from what I've read about the Navy Arms 45-70's. I've got a Sharps rifle from Pedersoli that I like pretty well....is the Quigley Model. 34" barrel and that 1 1/8" across the flats and 13# plus weight along with 45-120 Caliber, makes it a formidable shooter. Have 59 pcs of that expensive brass for it and have only shot it a couple dozen times so far, with my cast boolits of 525 grains. Still workin' up loads for the beast as I hope to take it west for elk or buffalo, as was once done. 110 grains of black powder under that boolit, too!! Want to add that 1200 yard Tang Sight one day along with a globe front sight to make it a complete 'buffler' outfit. I'll have to say that this is a real reloading challenge to put loads together for it, as the fouling is really something. So far, swabbing the barrel out after each shot with 50/50 ethylene glycol and water, seems to be the only way to keep shots on 12x12" paper at 100 yards....but sure is fun to shoot!!
Bob in Indiana...

quigleysharps4570
09-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Ever get a load worked out VH?