PDA

View Full Version : 300wsm reviews

257 ROB
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the 300 wsm as far as recoil and performance on elk sized game?

versifier
05-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I have fired one. It was a very light rifle and it was not pleasant. On six different occasions in the last several years, I have found two or three cases on the ground at our range and a week later seen three of the rifles that fired them at the local pawn shop, which tells me I am not alone in my opinion. It is overkill for New England, but with a decent recoil pad, it ought to do what you need it to nicely where the ranges are much longer, though I would opt for something in a smaller bore like the .270WSM for the sake of my shoulder.

257 ROB
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I was thinking the 300 wsm just for the wide variety of bullet selections. The 270 wsm is also a great looking cartridge for everything up to elk at reasonable ranges. I also have time to grow into the cartridge so I might be able to go a little bigger and load some slower ammo. Do you have any suggestions on which caliber to choose for this?

versifier
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, you already have the use of an -06. There is no more versatile cartridge. It is suitable for all N.American game from small varmints up through moose (though I think I'd want something with a little more authority for the big bears). You can load bullets from 40 (with sabots) to 220 grains, though the barrel twist may limit your practical choices a bit. You can load it down to .30-30 ballistics or shoot it full charge for hunting large game at 300 yds (or more with the right bullet and a careful shot). For a handloader, you can't ask for more than that. And then you have a Swede that you can load bullets from 85 to 140 grains, also suitable for anything on this continent except the big bears, and a lot easier on the shoulder, too.

The truth is, either of those rifles, though not one of the flashy new mags, will do everything you will need to do. Put your time in now learning the ins and outs of loading both those cartridges to their full potentials. Pay attention to what the older hunters in your area use and ask them their opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the cartridges they prefer, what specific bullets have worked best for them, and which haven't. They are really your best resource as collectively they will have hundreds of years hunting experience with the game and conditions where you live. There is a good reason why certain cartridges have stood the test of time: they work well in a wide variety of climates and terrains. There are going to be a number of different rounds that have proved themselves where you live, and while some will be the same, many will be different from what's most popular here. I can talk all day (maybe you've noticed) about conditions here in the deep woods and what works best for us 3500 miles away, but my experience only goes so far.

257 ROB
05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Yah but I am looking for a new rifle and am looking at different cartridges and combonations. The 280 is also another option, I think

257 ROB
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I only want to have to buy one rifle for hunting so I thought if I got somthing a little bigger then it would suit me for everything.

versifier
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
But the other side of that is the bigger you go, the less you'll want to be shooting it, and it takes a lot of practice to be hitting things at long ranges. Since mostly what you will use it for is deer sized game, I would go for something that could handle a heavier bullet for large game if and when needed, but go with a lighter bullet for 99% of hunting and target shooting. With an -06 or even a 7mag, you would have that option, along with good case life and wide selection of available bullets. 125's or 150's in the -06 and 120's or 140's in the 7mm would be very easy on the shoulder but deadly on deer, and you could go up to 180's in the -06 and 175's in the 7mm for larger game.

257 ROB
05-10-2009, 09:08 PM
The downside to the 7mm is the selection of bullets. I do have a 257 Roberts that smacks deer hard out to 350 yds, so I'm pretty much covered in that area. But who dosen't like having a selection when going to the gun cabinet. Do you have any other cartridges that you would recommend?

257 ROB
05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I was thinking about it and I don't really need a bigger hunting rifle right now. Since I'm only 13 I can still save my money and wait a couple years and get a rifle that I'm comfortable shooting. So thank you for your info it has been very helpful.

versifier
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I think that's a wise decision. The more experience you get, the clearer the choice will become. The more questions you ask, the more you learn. It does no harm to keep exploring possibilities and comparing different rifles and cartridges. You have plenty of time to explore the rifles you have available and find the different powder/bullet combinations they like and don't like. You likely still have some growing to do, and if you spend a lot of time, effort, and money on a rifle that fits you perfectly today, it might not fit so well in five or ten years and you'd have to be restocking or finding another that did fit. Even though I have quite a few rifles, there's really only one I rely on for large game hunting, with several different cast and jacketed bullet loads. It is not a pretty rifle by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a very accurate one in my hands and when I shoulder it, it's like another part of my body. (After thirty some-odd years and close to 10,000 rounds through it, though, it ought to be. You can read about it if you like on the Home Page, The Old Canoe Paddle) If you really like to hunt and shoot, sooner or later a rifle like that will find you, too. It might not be flashy or fancy, but for the kinds of weather and terrain you're likely to be carrying it around in, it wouldn't stay that way for long anyway, and once you know what it can do and what you can do with it, that really wouldn't matter very much.

rokdog13
05-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Alot of the new cartridges that come out are either to specialized or just dont catch on with the shooting public for alot of reasons. Like for instance the .25wssm...
The .270 WSM I think is a round that will be around for a long time. I'm a sissy when it comes to recoil and I can shoot my SUBMOA all day long. Though its NOT CHEAP!!!!!
I would say weatherby submoa or a Savage in .270 WSM would be your best pick.

257 ROB
05-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the info what would you compare the recoil of your sub moa with?

257 ROB
05-23-2009, 07:53 AM
I've heard that the 270 wsm kicks like a mule, I'm not into getting beat up on the range or in the field. (noone does)

Huntbear
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
My nephew shoots a Browning bolt in 300 WSM. He absolutely loves it. One shot kill on his 2nd elk at 420 yards. He dropped where he stood. He is using Federal Factory ammo with the 180 gr. Accubond.

My brother just bought one in the BAR. I am working up a 165 gr. Partition load for it now. It is a shooter and recoil is not an issue due to being a semi auto.

257 ROB
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
How does your nephew find the recoil?