PDA

View Full Version : primers

rokdog13
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Have heard alot of talk about primers. I havent tried to purchase any but have heard from several people and read stories about how none are available to the general public. Its not that manufactures arent making any, its just that they are bought and paid for before the retailers can get an order in.

versifier
05-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Some primers, like shotgun, are still easy to get. Small rifle are almost impossible to find, and when you can they are priced beyond belief, others are also scarce, but occasionally available. Pistol and rifle powders are out of stock everywhere, and .224 bullets are few and far between, as is .223 brass. Black rifles and modern milsurps have just about doubled in price, small carry handguns are in great demand and loaded ammo for them is difficult or impossible to find. The Obama Panic. People are buying and hoarding them.

I stocked up on primers two years ago just before copper prices went through the roof. I think that as supply begins to catch up with demand, we will see sane prices again as hoarders realize they aren't going to make a killing on them, and some really good deals on them at gun shows in a couple of years. Many loaders didn't or couldn't lay in supplies of them and are in panic buying mode right now, paying through the nose for whatever they can get their hands on. I am paying careful attention to who does, and more importantly, who doesn't try to put the screws to us in these tough times, and I will remember who to bring my business to when things calm down.

257 ROB
05-17-2009, 07:25 AM
rokdog13 where do you live? My cousin found a great deal on cci 200 large rifle primers at a gun show in Edmonton, he payed about 35 bucks for 1000. I'm lucky that my dad works with the military as a range control officer, so when the sawt teams and police come down to the range we get to keep all of the 223 brass! Just last week we got over 6000 rounds of brass and most of it is either federal or pmc.

versifier
05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I think it can, but I don't know for absolute sure if it can be shipped into the US from Canada (I do know we can't ship it to you - US regulations), but right now once fired .223 brass is worth its weight in gold down here ($.07-$.10 per case - $75-$80 per 1000 + shipping) as it is in such short supply. You could have yourself some spending money pretty quick if you have no use for the cases. If sent UPS lableled "scrap metal" and triple bagged in the box, it will get where it's going even if someone does an Ace Ventura with the box. That's enough to buy you a really nice scope, and a steady source will buy that new rifle.

Randy
05-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I have some connections in the ammo manufacturing industry, (yep, the big guys too), and they have all told me the same thing. I wish I was wrong, but it appears otherwise. The "big guys" are indeed kicking ammo out at record speeds, but two things are happening that basically means that you and I, the "regular joes", are getting screwed. First, the government is buying up massive quantities of ammo, and stockpiling it, so that explains the shortages to a great degree. The second, makes me want to throw up. The factories are kiking ammo out at fairly reasonable prices to distributors, but then, it gets marked up to astronomical prices, and sold on the open market. Of course there are those that are buying huge quantities of ammo,(they can do this because of the "I have a friend" thing), and holding it, waiting for the prices to skyrocket. It's really sad that gun owners can preach "unity of purpose", and then turn around and do this to their fellow shooters. We will NEVER get ahead of the gun grabbers, the corrupt politicians, etc., while we have these kind of people in our ranks. If you know someone like this, PLEASE let them know how wrong this is, and that this will come back to bite them eventually. I have a really long memory, and I won't forget those that do right by me, OR those that do wrong by me. I'll remember with my wallet, and I hope all of you will do the same.

versifier
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome to Gunloads Randy.

That was quite a first post. May it be but the first of many. I have been taking careful notice for a while now. There are quite a few people and businesses I will not deal with in the future. As Franklin so aptly put it, "We must hang together, or most assuredly, we will hang separately."

armyrat1970
05-31-2009, 03:32 AM
Welcome to Gunloads Randy.

That was quite a first post. May it be but the first of many. I have been taking careful notice for a while now. There are quite a few people and businesses I will not deal with in the future. As Franklin so aptly put it, "We must hang together, or most assuredly, we will hang separately."

Bought several hundred primers from two of the out of the way shops around me a couple of months ago. They were still selling them at reasonable prices. I call them every other week to see if they have any in stock but so far neither have had any. I will continue to deal with them but I don't even visit the gunshows that come around every couple of months after reading some of the stories about increased prices and just down right ignorant prople attending them. I hope this madness ends soon but I don't see any quick relief.
Welcome to the forum Randy.

golddigger
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
The other day I called a gun shop that does not get hit hard by people and he had found a few hundred thousand primers at quite a great price. Now mind you these were the old winchester primers in the orange and white box but still shot nice. Bought 5000 lp and 5000 sp at 22.50 a thousand. 5000 sr and 5000 lr at 25.50 a thousand. Called him yesterday and all gone. He now has cci large pistol and small pistol at 32.00 a thousand. Said he has 500,000 of each on back order from federal ,cci, and winchester so got on his list . I am number 8 on this list as I do buy all my reloading supplies with him.

This shop has more guns in it then I have seen in a gun shop in a long time. Again this guy is out of the way but he is awsome to deal with. How many shops will split master case of bulk bullets to the quanity you want. Not very many.

His motto is damm good service and damm good prices and that is no BS. He meets every customer at the front door.

They are also big competition shooters and she is a nevada certified ccw instructer.

257 ROB
06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Sounds like a great shop you found there.

Jim_Fleming
06-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Good post Randy, quite a bit fervent for a new comer, good job, however!

Keep up the passion, Sir,

Take Care,

I have some connections in the ammo manufacturing industry, (yep, the big guys too), and they have all told me the same thing. I wish I was wrong, but it appears otherwise. The "big guys" are indeed kicking ammo out at record speeds, but two things are happening that basically means that you and I, the "regular joes", are getting screwed. First, the government is buying up massive quantities of ammo, and stockpiling it, so that explains the shortages to a great degree. The second, makes me want to throw up. The factories are kiking ammo out at fairly reasonable prices to distributors, but then, it gets marked up to astronomical prices, and sold on the open market. Of course there are those that are buying huge quantities of ammo,(they can do this because of the "I have a friend" thing), and holding it, waiting for the prices to skyrocket. It's really sad that gun owners can preach "unity of purpose", and then turn around and do this to their fellow shooters. We will NEVER get ahead of the gun grabbers, the corrupt politicians, etc., while we have these kind of people in our ranks. If you know someone like this, PLEASE let them know how wrong this is, and that this will come back to bite them eventually. I have a really long memory, and I won't forget those that do right by me, OR those that do wrong by me. I'll remember with my wallet, and I hope all of you will do the same.