PDA

View Full Version : 270 wsm reviews

257 ROB
05-30-2009, 09:47 PM
If anyone uses the 270 wsm let me know how it performs on deer and elk if possible. I want all possible info before buying my next rifle.

versifier
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I have one friend who uses it on whitetails and moose. He has fired four shots in the field at ranges between 150 and 300yds. He call it a "bang flop" rifle. A moose and three deer in the freezer, one of them a buck over 200lbs. BUT, he is one of the best woodsmen I know and I am totally convinced he would be equally successful with nothing more than a fist-sized rock. The only time in the twenty years I have known him that he needed more than one shot, a small twig delflected a .243 bullet (and it still went through the lungs, but he shot again just to be sure). Come to think of it, he's called every rifle he's carried a "bang flop", too, but I guess it still answers your question. He uses factory ammo, and after firing it I have to say that while managable, the recoil is one notch up from an -06 of similar weight, not a rifle I would want to be spending a lot of bench time with without a Lead Sled. He wanted a 300yd+ deer rifle that would work for moose and caribou too. He is VERY happy with it.

257 ROB
05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
For the occasional shot in the field i think i can handle the recoil. A rifle with a good recoil pad also helps a lot.

RoboElf
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Did you ever try the 270 WSM yet? I'm setting one up now & can't wait to get it on the bench. From all the other forums and reviews I've read on the caliber it's the one I decided to go with based on the ballastics vs. reduced recoil. While a lot of the short mag's are starting to dry up, the 270 seems to be still be going pretty strong & I'm reasonably confident it'll be around a while. I can't testify as to the grouping yet, but I can address the recoil factor, at least for my model. I loaded up a few about a grain & 1/2 away from max (H4831SC) just to check out the recoil, looked down the barrel as I didn't yet have it scoped and let a couple loose. To sum it up...wow! I have fired alot of different weapons and calibers over the years, but have never fired anything with the on paper ballistics of this caliber (shooting a 150 gr SST) that had this little recoil. If you decide to get one, and recoil management is more of a factor than bang for the buck, I highly recommend this one. It's the Savage Weather Warrior with the accustock, accutrigger and adjustable muzzlebrake. With the muzzlebrake closed you can feel the recoil, but even then it's barely felt. I'm not kidding a bit. With the factory recoil pad (it's a lot like a LimbSaver) the recoil was still dramatically less than any 30-30 I've ever fired. With the muzzlebrake open, it's so loud you'll definately need shooters "ears" on (but you should have then on anyway), but the recoil was pratically non-existent. It literally felt like firing a really loud, really powerful bb-gun! I'll post more, if you would like, after I finally get to working up some loads for it.:D