PDA

View Full Version : S&W J Frame information, please

Jim_Fleming
08-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Guys, I've inherited the task of attempting to find out more about a S&W J frame.

s/n 197XXX

I can absolutely say it has a 5 shot cylinder, it's a .38 Special Caliber, it has a pinned 1 7/8 ths in. barrel.

It has a set of Pachmyer replacement grips, and the wooden stocks are in decent shape for being sold with a 50 year old gun.

I've looked on gunbroker, guns international, smith and wesson handguns. The value of this used gun is somewhere between 350-450... So that's not really my issue... The owner asked for 400 and it would seem a fair price.

I'm interested in finding out if this old piece can handle +P .38 Special "Defensive" loads of ammo for _defensive carry only_ not a steady day to day diet of +P ammo.

Practice ammo would very likely be reloads with mild wadcutter loads... Semi-wadcutters on the menu too... Then the occasional jacketed slug just to clean out the cobwebs, LOL! :happy13:

But the carry ammo most likely would be .38 Special +P Speer Gold Dot, if the J-frame could handle it...

I've done some research, but I've only been looking for a couple of hours...

Would it be too much to ask for assistance? S&W hasn't ever been my cup of tea, to be honest, I like Rugers.

Thanks,

versifier
08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
As long as you don't feed it a steady diet of hot carry loads, you'll be fine. Mine was made in the 1930's and is one of the more accurate revolvers I've owned. It rides in my pocket 27/7. I practice with mild loads, then run a cylinder of carry loads through it at the end of the practice session. I've been doing that three or four times a year for the last 25 and it hasn't shown any signs of loosening up.

Jim_Fleming
08-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Versifier, that's what I'd been planning on suggesting to the owner, but it's nice to get confirmation, on such a 'delicate' subject...

There's no way that old sweetie is gonna get steady diet of the hot stuff, she's too nice and cozy to cuddle up with... :fighting68: :fighting68: :fighting68:

I've heard that those old sweeties are amazingly accurate when handled correctly... Interestingly enough, Crimson Trace makes a laser grip that fits the Chief's Special!

I'll pass the hints along to the owner, fo' sho'

As long as you don't feed it a steady diet of hot carry loads, you'll be fine. Mine was made in the 1930's and is one of the more accurate revolvers I've owned. It rides in my pocket 27/7. I practice with mild loads, then run a cylinder of carry loads through it at the end of the practice session. I've been doing that three or four times a year for the last 25 and it hasn't shown any signs of loosening up.

Ironnewt
12-04-2010, 02:04 AM
If you ever need somebody to work on it, check out your local PD. Quite often the armorer had to check off duty guns and these were favorites. The guy that worked on revolvers might be retired but may still keep his hand in and will often have more experience than the 'parts changer' at the local gun shop. The current armorers should know how to get in touch with him. If not, try the local FOP.

lasersightpro
05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Laserlyte also makes a side mounted laser sight if you have rubber grips: http://bit.ly/L6Xcwq
Quite a bit less and does the trick. Laser Sight Pro (http://www.lasersightpro.com/store-products-LLCK-SWAT-LASERLYTE-REAR-SIDE-MOUNT-LASER-SIGHT-ALL-SW-J-FRAME-REVOLVERS_1097340140.html)