PDA

View Full Version : Ruger no.1

257 ROB
09-15-2009, 05:51 PM
does anyone have any experience with the Ruger no.1?

kodiak1
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Rob never owned one but would definetly consider it in the right caliber. The only thing that they don't have that I have a fetish for is a 26" or longer pipe.

Ken:fighting67:

416Rodney
09-17-2009, 06:32 AM
All things considered, the Ruger #1 is a fantastic rifle. I have one in .30-06, 416 Rigby, and .458 Win Mag. Once you work up a good load you need to put in considerable practice in order to be able to get in subsequent shots rapidly. It's a matter of how and where you hold the next bullet to load.

kodiak1
09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Went looking at them some more last night and damn they do come with a 26" pipe but not in the heavy barrel I was looking at before.
Ken.

257 ROB
09-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I was thinking of the stainless laminate bbz in 25-06.

257 ROB
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
or any ruger no.1 in 25-06, as long as it has a 26" barrel.

versifier
09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
One thing you might want to keep in mind is that they are not difficult to rebarrel. Also, because they are so light (relatively speaking) you are more likely to see them for a good price used, especially in the harder-kicking chamberings. (It's no big deal to fit a decent recoil pad to them, either.) An old friend had one in .458mag that was absolutely brutal to shoot with full power loads, even with a boot recoil pad and a Past magnum shield between me and the rifle. Loaded down to the low .45-70 range (Trapdoor loads) with cast bullets, however, it was a pussy cat, very accurate, and lots of fun to shoot. He killed more than a few deer with it using those light charges and 300gr cast bullets. There is a warm spot in my heart for Number Ones, and also for the old Number Three's. If either followed me home, I would happily keep it. Older ones often had some accuracy issues, though, and more than one shooter has fallen in love at first sight with the beautiful walnut stock only to be disappointed at the range. (That, by the way, is how I learned they aren't difficult to rebarrel.) From what I have read and seen myself, that's really not an issue with the newer ones.

Would I run right out and buy a new one? Probably not. Aside from their classic lines and rugged dependability, if I personally were going out on a mission specifically to buy another single shot rifle at today's prices, it would be an Encore that I could be easily swapping barrels on if I decided that the chambering just wasn't what I wanted. (With a lathe and some skill, it might still cost less to get a used Number One and rebarrel it yourself, but it would lack the barrel-swapping versatility, and not everyone has a metal lathe in the basement.)

257 ROB
09-18-2009, 09:07 AM
I personaly like the looks of the no.1 more than the encore. Another selling feature for me, is that it is a falling block.

kodiak1
09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I here you there on the falling block.
Was really looking at the 223 Rem in a Varmint.

Ken.:animal23:

257 ROB
09-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Also with the no.1 you can keep the rifle shouldered while reloading. And you don't need to change barrels all that often, even though it is a nice feature, most times if you pick the right caliber you only need one rifle.

versifier
09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
....most times if you pick the right caliber you only need one rifle.

The problem with me is that I've picked so many "right" rifles that I'm running out of room for them. :fighting68: I quite agree with you on the look of the falling block, they're beautiful rifles and I drool just thinking about them - like I said, if one followed me home.....

But it's much easier to fit an armful of barrels here and there in the dwindling space of my gun safe than to cram in a couple more entire rifles at this point. ;) I will never be a "one rifle" man.....

kodiak1
09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
One Rifle!!!!!!!!!
What kinda gun nut are you???
I guess I have way, way to many!!!!!!!!!
But I like each and everyone of them..

Just Raggin on ya bud..

Ken.

257 ROB
09-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I also own many rifles and use every single one of them, but you can only shoot one at a time. I also like opening up the gun cabinet and having to decide which rifles get to come out today, but most times I grab the rifle I use the most.

kodiak1
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Same here the longer it takes me to decide the better I like it.
I have a winny 94 in 38-55 have owned it over a year and got it to the range today it just had to be patient for me to play with it!!!!!!:fighting68:

The dang thing really shoots nice.:fighting67:

The only one I have left in the safe's that hasen't been shot yet is my 56-50 Spencer and as soon as I get my piece to convert it to centerfire it will make it's journey to the range.
I have the brass and the dies already.

I love choice when it comes to firearms.

Ken.:animal23:

257 ROB
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Next week im taking the 270 on an elk hunt with my dad, it'll be a good time. The rifle actually shoots under .50 at 100 yds, the rifle is a marlin xl7. It'll have no problem dropping an elk.

kodiak1
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
270 damn that is one I don't have.......................

Ruger, Savage awwwwwwwwww the decisions a person has to make when buying guns.

Ken:animal23:

257 ROB
09-23-2009, 05:39 AM
They are nice to shoot, accurate, and very fast. If I were you, I would buy one, unless you have a 7mm rm.

Tom W.
11-22-2009, 11:54 PM
The bad thing with the Encores is that you need ( or at least I do) to keep a scope on each barrel... The #1's that I have are wonderful to shoot and very accurate. I did add limbsavers on both, replace the trigger on one, and had the other rechambered and a trigger job done on it, plus I had the safety ground down a bit so empty cases wouldn't hang up on it.

Ebywye
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I've had a Ruger no. 1 for about 20 years and it is in 257 Roberts. It is one of my favorites. When I first obtained it, it didn't group, it patterned. After several factory loads and many reloads, I returned the gun to Ruger.

I can't say enough postive about Ruger, they fixed what ever was wrong, no note on the guns return, but I suspect they re-barreled it. The darn thing shots sub-MOA groups at 200 Yds.

Now if I had the $ to buy 6 more of them or so-----:D

TLARbb
03-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I've owned two. Gave one to my oldest son and foolishly sold one to my best friend a couple decades ago. I really like them a lot. Just don't have one now.

EJ

shooter39629
03-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Rob,

I have a 26 inch barrel 257 wweatherby mag ruger number 1. It was rechambered from 25-06. Yes it does have a kick, but it really puts deer and hogs down bang flop.

257 ROB
03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been trying to find one in 35 whelen, but have not found one.

Hondo Lane
06-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I had a #1B in 6mm remington. In stupid moment I sold it. I now have a #1B in .223. It has a "Hicks" accurizer installed on it. The previous owner also had the trigger lightened. A bit too light for my taste. Its a good shooter. With a bi-pod and a calm day the gophers are endangered at that 250 to 300 yard range. My next one is going to be a 7x57mm.

Jean Mario
11-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I have been trying to find one in 35 whelen, but have not found one.

But try 9.3mm(.366'')x62mm with tradeex. You have same power as 35 Whelen but less expensive cost brass and you have more rifles. I have one and it's best for all kind hunt around the world... You have a good choice of bullets. 250gr until 300gr but I use 285gr RNSP at 2407ft/s. It's funny to shot with a little recoil.

http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/index.php (main page)

http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95 (hunting rifles)

Regards

Jean Mario

outsidebear
11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
As has been mentioned, it's a simple task to rebarrel a #1 or #3 to the chambering of your choice...
I've two #3's which have been rebored. One from a .223 into .257 Roberts; and the second one from a .223 into a .308 Winchester.
I've recently came up with a Ruger #3 having it's factory barrel replaced with a 28" octagon barrel chambered to .40-90 SS (Sharps Straight), and using 370 gr cast bullets it spits 'em right in there at the 735 yard marker. Very pleasant to shoot in the .40-90 SS.
Have you considered the Ruger #1 chambered in 9.3x74R, which can still be located at a reasonable price (before they stop making them and the prices go UP). The performance would be every bit what a .35 Whelen will produce, and then some. Yes, easier to find or make .35 Whelen brass, but once you'd have say, 100 9.3x74R cases, that might hold ya for a hunting ammo supply. Hornady offers the loaded ammo and I believe you can obtain unprimed brass from them as well?
9.3mm bullets now abound, with a great deal of the 9.3mm popularity in this country going to John Barsness and his writings in the various gun magazines.
Factory load in the 9.3x74R (equalling the 9.3x62mm factory load) with a 286 gr bullet is stated as being 2,360 fps. Norma offers a 232 gr bullet factory loaded to around 2,650 fps. Of course handloading to these levels is easily achieved with the same, or other, bullets. Have always liked the looks of the 9.3x74 R loaded round. Being a single shot, the rim may actually work moreso in your favor, compared to a rimless case (yes I know, the rimless cases work fine in the #1 and #3).
Plenty of options out there for ya to work with.
Best of enjoyment in your quest...

jazzman251
12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a #1 in 45-70 and I really like it. It is easy to carry and plenty of horsepower when I need it. I have just recently purchased my second one in 257 Roberts and hope to shoot it as soon as the weather breaks. Any load data in 257 would be appreciated.

moondog911
12-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Greetings all,

I have also been infected with the single shot rifle. The ruger was just too pricey for me, so I purchased an Encore in SS. Got a 223 and a 45-70 barrel to play with. The Encore is a great rifle. However, for the varmints in the mountains of south east Oklahoma, I feel a little uncomfortable with a single shot. Consequently, I purchased bolt action Ruger Hawkeyes in 308 and a 375 RCM also in SS.

On thursday, December 23, 2010, I noticed BOO BOO BEAR running through my pasture. I was splitting wood in my front yard when I saw him. When I saw him, he was running through tall brush and trees about 75 yards away. He covered about 50 yards in about 3 seconds. He was in a dead run when he caught my eye. At that speed he could have easily outrun any of my registered quarter horses. I also realized, it would not matter, what kind of gun I had because it happened so fast, I would not have gotten a shot off anyway.

Looking for a proper boolit mold for my Ruger 375 RCM. It has a 12 inch twist. I like the looks of the Lyman 335 grain round nose, but would appreciate the opinions of the other members.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYBODY

old wanderer
04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Well for some 30 years the #1 Ruger has been one of my favorites. I still have a 45-70 that I hand load for and use the Barnes 300 Gr X bullets...Deadly on Rosevelt Elk in steep heavy cover. I have a EoTech Holo sight on it. Light and quick but with these hand loads it does kick the snot out of you, but well worth it.

The other is a 416 Rigby with georgeous wood. I put a claw mount and express sights on it. Have hunted buffallo in Africa with this gun. I put a 1# C & H mercury tube in the stock. It made it ballance and handle perfect. I hand load for it as well, and with 109 Gr of RL 19 and the 300 Gr Barnes x bullet will hold under an inch at 100 yards constently with a 5 shot group. (As long as you do your part).

When hunting dagerous game in heavy brush, just keep 2 bullets tucked between the fingers of the left hand for quick reloads....not much slower than a bolt action, but scared the crap out of my guide more than once, as I do not want him shooting.

My current project is building another 458 bore for subsonic and 600 gr bullets with a silencer.

I remember the old saying of "beware of the man that only shoots one gun", but I like better my saying "Beware my furry little foe, for the man than shoots a single shot", he is apt to be a bit more pacient and deliberate with that shot."

reloaderman
06-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I liked the 30-06 #1 I had, but let it go so I could get a heavy varmit rifle. Boy do I miss it ! I've got a #3 in 30-40 Krag that loves cast bullets!
The #3 is wearing a #1 stock ( I guess that makes it a #2 ), and it's my "go to" gun when deer or pigs are involved .