PDA

View Full Version : T/C thunderhawk

rokdog13
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, I got all set up with my .54 caliber. got new truglo sights on my rifle and did some hunting. Still haven't figured out the most accurate powder charge. Hoping I can get tuned in and build some confidence in my ability with the gun for the late season. I didnt see anything the early season.

versifier
10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not a fan of TruGlo sights, I have found them fine for target shooting but way too delicate to stand up to serious hunting. When (not if) yours break, I would suggest replacing them with a good post and peep sight set by T/C or Williams. I have replaced broken ones on a dozen different m/l's for hunting buddies.

I am a big fan of .54's. After thirty years of shooting MaxiBalls, the last few years I've been buying sabots and filling them with my own cast .45 220grHP's of soft lead. Accuracy is good to 150yds, they're much easier on my shoulder, and they perform well on game. I use loose Pyrodex as my rifle is a Renegade caplock with a Green Mtn barrel and T/C peep sights. It came with TruGlos, but I immediately removed them. I have been looking for someone I dislike enough to give them to. ;)

rokdog13
10-12-2009, 12:50 AM
After getting the round balls and .44 cal Sabots from you I get everything else I needed from the local Dennis company. I got pyrodex RS.
I still haven't shot any of the round balls through the .54 yet.
Its funny you mention the frailty of the TRUGLO sights. I mentioned that
to a friend ofter purchasing and installing them. He said he had no problems with them but they sure do look like they could get damaged working through heavy brush like we have around here.