PDA

View Full Version : Greetings... checking in from California.

Gunhacker
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi All,

I've been reloading ever since Bullseye powder came in cans like this:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/caquino1/OldBullseye-1.jpg

Ok... maybe not ;) but it sure feels that way sometimes. That old can is something that I also enjoy doing, collecting/accumulating vintage gun stuff (much to the wife's chagrin). The date on that thing is 6-41 and it's sealed and full of powder... hmmmmm, I wonder if it's still good?

I actually started reloading in 1974, and as you can see from my die boxes, I reload a variety of calibers, mainly handgun ammo; .22 Jet, .32 H&R Mag, 38Spl/357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44Spl/Mag, .44-40, .45 Colt, .32 acp, 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, and a few rifle calibers; 7.62x39, 5.56/223, 30-30 Winchester and .30 Gibbs.

Some of those I've only just started to do, like the .22 jet and .32 H&R Mag so I'm looking for info on those.

I've never done any bullet casting and that's one of the reasons I've joined... to finally get into it, and learn from other's experience here.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and thanks for having me!

Conrad

versifier
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Welcome to Gunloads.

If the seals are intact and it has not been exposed to excessive heat, I think there's a very good chance that powder is still good. If you got curious and opened it, your nose could tell you immediately. I have used powder of that vintage and though it also predates me by a few years, if it's been properly stored there's no reason it shouldn't work as well as I do. Is there collector value in powder like there is in antique ammo? Anyone know?

kodiak1
10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
gunhacker welcome to the forum.
She is always good for a read and a learn.

Ken

Prunedale Mike
01-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Gunhacker,
What part of the far left coast do call home? I'm located 8 miles north of Salinas.

Mike