PDA

View Full Version : Winchester '73

BillO
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I have an old Winchester Model 1873 - 32 WCF (.32-20). I would like to shoot it but I am not sure if it will be ok to use modern ammo or should I use black powder ammo??

Thanks
BillO

versifier
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Welcome to Gunloads.

I think I answered it next door at RLG, but it depends on its age and condition. If it is post WWI, it ought to be OK with smokeless as long as the rifle has been well cared for. If in doubt, have it looked at by a competent gunsmith.

Here's the link to find out when it was made:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

If it's in good shape, there's no reason not to shoot it. I wouldn't be putting anything too hot through it, just light smokeless loads. Shooting bp out of a lever gun can make for one long and difficult cleaning session afterward, but that's a personal preference.

C1PNR
11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I've got an original '73 in 44 WCF that I shoot with only lead boolits and light loads, actually the same loads I shoot in my .44 WCF Uberti SAA clone.

I think lead boolits and light powder charges are the real key to keeping an old Soldier like yours in good shooting condition.

I also have a '92 in 32 WCF that I shoot with the same boolit loads I use in my 32 WCF Army Special.

I firmly beleave using cast lead at reasonable pressures is a good way to have a real keepsake to pass on to the next generation.:violin:

Poohgyrr
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Congrats on your Lever, it shold be a lot of fun.