PDA

View Full Version : FN Five-seveN

rokdog13
11-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Does anybody have any experience with this pistol/round? I was thinking of getting one when I purchased my Kimber PROCDP mainly because of the
extreme velocity and mag capacity.
Now that this pistol is once again in the lime light I wonder what effects it will have on its legality.
Considering the Supreme Courts decision one would think that it would not be
the case, yet obama has appointed so many gun control advocates to top government positions I sincerly hope his stint is a quick and hopefully uneventful 4 years.
Anyway, I decided to go with the Kimber because it is American made and designed and is truly a piece of American heritage elevated to a work of art
and the gun store owner talked me out of the Five-seveN.
The Kimber is not real utilitarian with its beautiful rosewood grips that I intend to change out to something a little more durable.

versifier
11-07-2009, 08:03 AM
There are several owners of five-sevens at our club, but I have only had a chance to talk with one of them. He does not reload and is a bit dismayed at how hard it is to find ammo for it, so when he does he buys huge amounts of it. I don't imagine it's much fun to handle those itty bitty cases and bullets. He is happy with his pistol's accuracy out to fifty yards, but sidestepped my question of just how accurate it is. I think of it as basically a rimless centerfire .22mag. I think it might be interesting to chamber a bolt action rifle for it for 100yd varmint hunting in the vegetable garden. The round was designed specifically to penetrate body armor, but FN has wisely toned that down in their advertising.

Omamba can't do much without congress to pass the bills. A solid majority of them now realize that any serious gun control measures will effectively end their futures in politics, but I still wouldn't put back door manuvers past the current administration.

rokdog13
11-09-2009, 07:33 AM
so it sounds to me like you agree with my local gun store owner, and if I can get around the "cool" factor I think I am right there, also.
He talked me out of getting the Five-seveN and argued stopping power and since the other gun I was asking about was the Kimber PROCDP he was like, DUH!
From what I have read on the 5.7 bullet weight is critical to passing through vests and the civilian ammo is heavier than the law enforcement/military round.
The whole arguement is a bunch of crap as usual. Unfortunatly the only people who can afford vests are law enforcement and the criminals. Anybody who pays attention will have seen many instances where criminals were busted and had them.
So just by media pressure the ability for a LAW ABIDING AMERICAN to have a round that would punch through the bad guys vest is gone.
Is this a valid arguement though? even though a .45 won't go through the vest I imagine it would feel like getting kicked by a mule and would change the dynamic of the situation considerably for effective follow up shots.
Honestly, I dont want the bad guys to have a gun that will go through a cops vest but I do not believe that is the arguement. high powered rifles will go right through. the difference is it wont fit under your coat!!
Did anybody hear about the Seattle P.D. officer who was shot and killed while sitting in his cruiser? Somebody drove up and started shooting and I doubt the vest did anything to help since it was from the side and his upper torso was behind the drivers door.
I think we all would want our Police to have the best equipment and training to do thier job, but it is first and foremost my responsibility to protect myself and my family and I sure as hell dont want to be left doing it with a butter knife.