PDA

View Full Version : Annealing brass cases

Dave 101
11-09-2009, 03:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
I have been told you can anneal brass cases , before decapping hold them by the rim and dip in molten lead as this is the correct temperature . I have just tried this hold each one in for 10 seconds , then withdraw it from the lead and flick off the surface lead and wipe over with wire wool . A very long process ,
I also know you can stand cases in some water and boil , question is for how long ?
Any other ideas for carrying the annealing process welcome .
Dave

versifier
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I have never heard of either method. The way most of us do it is with a propane torch. Either set the bottom half of the cases in water and direct the flame at the neck/shoulder junction and tip them over into the water, or hold them in your hand rotating them in the flame until you can feel the heat in your fingers and drop them into water. In either method, the cases need to be water quenched because you do not want them completely annealed or they will be left too soft to hold a bullet properly. It is best to practice on cases you don't care about until you have the feel for the correct temperature to tip them over, and to do it in low light. If you get the case red hot, you have ruined it.

Lead baths are used to anneal steels, but I have no experience with using it for brass. Maybe someone else here has and can comment on it. Boiling water is no where near hot enough.

rokdog13
11-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I read in one of my reloading books that said to place cases neck up in water and heat with a propane torch, which is pretty much what Versifier said.
But since I'm bored I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents!!