PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Missouri!

RoboElf
02-28-2010, 07:46 AM
I thought I should take a minute or two to say "Hi all". I live in souther MO & have been shooting so long I don't remember the first time I fired a gun. I've a small collection, 20 or so, and love 'em all. I shoot a lot of Rugers, one Colt, a couple of TC's, Mossberg, Savage, H&R. I've got 8 or 9 pistols, 3 shotguns, several rifles, but my strongest passion is probably muzzleloaders. Both my TC's are front-stuffers. I've got a stainless Omega with a thumbhole laminate rosewood stock & a Leopold Rifleman 3x9. That's the one my hunting buddies threatened to ban me from 'cause my first season I got 5 deer with it. My other is a 25th Anniversary 50 cal Hawkin. Took my first blackpowder deer with that one at about 60 yards. I've also got a Traditions 44' navy model colt. I've only fired it once or twice, but had to have one for the collection. My other Traditions is a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Anniversary Edition Trapper in a .50 round ball. I usually carry my 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Old Army as I love that thing (first new gun I ever bought). I also shoot a Pedersoli Tiger Mapel "Deluxe" Frontier in a .50 cal. Last is what I call the "Worlds Stupidest Muzzleloader". It's the Pedersoli Kodiak Express (for those who don't know that means double barreled rifle) in a 72 cal & it knocks stuff down REAL good! I also built & never fired an Ethan Allen Pepperbox and a DuckFoot. The others are a Colt AR-15, a stainless Mini-30 (my favorite deer rifle) & just added a Savage "Weather Warrior" in a 270 WSM. I've got Ruger pistols ranging from an old model Single Six Convertible to a 7 1/2 Stainless Redhawk in a 44Mag. I've got a stainless MKII, 3 different stainless P-
Series-all 3 are DC models in a 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP & last year I added a 7 1/2 inch barreled stainless Vaquero in a 45 Colt (45LC). As soon as I turned 21 I bought a 7 1/2 barreled stainless Super Redhawk also in a 44 Mag. Can you tell I like a 7 1/2 in barrel & stainless? Anyway, when I bought it I also bought a Lee Auto-Turren press & started loading. I'm 44, pushing 45 now & probably have even more fun with it now than I did then. I finally wore that old press out & got another Lee in a manual indexing. Most of my die are also Lee, but I've got a couple of RCBS and Hornady as well. Well that's enough about me, I look forward to learning and sharing all I can here!

kodiak1
02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Roboelf sounds like a very nice selection of shooting sticks.
You have got the reloading bug already so you are set for a long lonely life at the range and the reloading bench.

Ken.:happy69:

RoboElf
03-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Roger on the life at the bench, but I have yet to get lonely. I've got a small group here who are all shooters too (gotta love Missouri Squirrel Shooters). I'm always working up a load for somebody's favorite hunting rifle (or their new one). Right now I'm working up one for my 270 WSM, re-working my 7.62X39 and fine-tuning another, got two different 243's to work up, one 300 Win Mag and two other loads for the same 45LC. Makes for a lot of fun at the range though! The biggest, wonderful, problem with all that is that we spend alot of time walking back downrange to set the targets up! It's great.

versifier
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
The biggest, wonderful, problem with all that is that we spend alot of time walking back downrange to set the targets up! It's great.

Ah, I see you have discovered my summer fitness program! I start with handguns at 25yds in the spring and and test longer and longer range loads as the season progresses. For upper body workout I carry the gun back and forth, too. ;) :animal23:

sgtcliff
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Roger on the life at the bench, but I have yet to get lonely. I've got a small group here who are all shooters too (gotta love Missouri Squirrel Shooters). I'm always working up a load for somebody's favorite hunting rifle (or their new one). Right now I'm working up one for my 270 WSM, re-working my 7.62X39 and fine-tuning another, got two different 243's to work up, one 300 Win Mag and two other loads for the same 45LC. Makes for a lot of fun at the range though! The biggest, wonderful, problem with all that is that we spend alot of time walking back downrange to set the targets up! It's great.
Hey Roboelf
I am new to this site but have been a shooter for a long time. I see in your post that you are working on a load for the 270 wsm. I just bought one and would really appreciate it if you could share your load once you have worked it up.
Thanks and happy shooting.
Cliff

RoboElf
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
You got it...at least as soon as I do! I just picked one from the range of H4831SC & a 150 gr Hornady SST just to get it on paper. Got it there, but that's about all! I'm currently waiting for a Lee Factory Crimp to be made/delivered before I start real load testing with it, but I know that one sure isn't going to me "it". I'm thinking I might have to drop back to a 130 gr bullet. This seems to be the most widely used bullet weight so the barrel's twist rate might be set for it. If that doesn't work, I'll switch powders, get more 150gr & 130gr bullets & go again!

TCFAN
03-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi RoboElf I am new here too. I spend most of my time on the Cast Boolit site. I see you are in West Plains. I am in the big town of Dora so I guess that makes us neighbors......Terry

versifier
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Welcome to GunLoads TCFAN.

Judging by your handle, you'll meet a bunch of folks here with similsr interests, including me. What do you shoot?