PDA

View Full Version : New Woodleigh Bullet for the .270 Win

Hunter4Life
03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Woodleigh has brought out an 180-grain protected point soft nose in .277 diameter. I am trying to work up a load for my .270 Winchester, but Woodleigh doesn't have any reloading information. Woodleigh says to use published data from other bullet and powder manufacturers. However, there is no real comparable data for a .270 Winchester Winchester using an 180 grain bullet. In the Barnes previous reloading manual, Barnes Reloading Manual # 3 they have a load for the Barnes 180-grain original, but the BC for the Barnes and Woodleigh are so far apart. The Barnes original BC is.372 vs. .513 for the Woodleigh. There is also three loads in the Hodgdon 2010 Reloading Manual. The best podwers that I saw were RL22, IMR 7827, and H1000. Any tips or suggestions?

versifier
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I can't find any loads in any of the manuals I have on hand. Try powder manufacturers' websites. I am also wondering if you will be able to stabilize the longer bullets in your rifle with a twist optimal for 130-150gr bullets, but that is, of course, up to your rifle and you may be pleasantly surprised. BC has to do with exterior ballistics, the Barnes data (as long as it is for a cup&core bullet and not for a solid copper bullet) will work for you safely. Where on the paper they will hit and how much they will drop at longer ranges you will only learn by experimenting - that is where the difference in BC comes into play, not in your chamber. I generally start load development of medium case capacity rounds with IMR 3031, 4064, and 4895. I'm thinking 4064 first as it generally does slightly better with heavier bullets. I have been relying on them for 35 years and they haven't let me down yet. Not to say you won't find a different powder your rifle likes better with that bullet, but that you ought to be able to find a usable load with one of those three, certainly enough to know if the bullet shows enough promise in your rifle to make more extensive testing worthwhile. Try whatever listed powders you have on hand first though. You are more or less in experimental territory with a bullet that heavy, so take your time and work up loads carefully, keeping an eye open for pressure signs and chrono data that will warn you if you're getting too hot.

Hunter4Life
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Hodgdon says that H1000 is great for heavy bullets for the .270 so I think I will start there. I really appreciate you input. I will try some of the powders that you mentioned.

nanuk
10-02-2010, 09:23 PM
do you think you can get 2400?

i've got a Ruger1B in 270, and the 180 appeals to me for a 250yd moose gun.

should penetrate like nobodies business