PDA

View Full Version : .450 bushmaster ~vs~ .458 SOCOM

rokdog13
10-05-2010, 01:27 AM
anybody have any experience with these two calibers? would like any info on reloading ease and versatility.

rokdog13
10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I know its a really new round... but sheesh!!

rokdog13
10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
what about the .50 Beowulf?

versifier
10-09-2010, 08:35 PM
A guy at my club has a .50 Beowulf. He is happy with it but says the bullets are very expensive. He is trying to find a mould, but I can't see him paying for a custom mould. He's looking at what's available and prowling the shows in hopes of a used one. Mostly he shoots the .223 upper on his AR.

rokdog13
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
The Thumper concept seam's very interesting. The more I read the more difficult the decision on which one to buy is. It sounds like the .458 SOCOM is the simplest switch to make on changing out uppers, yet the ammo and components for reloading are alot more expensive than the .450 Bushmaster. Alot more manufactures are making the .450 than the .458 so from reading older posts it looks like the .450 has won the battle of big gun support from the major players. The Ammo for the .450 Bushmaster is ALOT cheaper than the .458 SOCOM and its a straight case, where the .458 SOCOM is tapered so reloading for it would be more complicated at first. From what I read they are all pretty much the same as far as ballistics except it sounds like the .458 has a larger range of bullet weights. still need to read up on this some more. I dont plan to swap out uppers so versatility doesn't mean anything to me. reloading Component expense does mean alot to me. Simplicity of reloading also means alot. So, i keep leaning toward the .450. I looked at a Remington .450 Bushmaster at the Lacey Cabelas and man was it a righteous gun. Compact, well balanced. It didnt have a picatinny gas block, though. I want a close range gun with flip up sights and a quick detatch scope. I'm not buying a flying ash tray launcher to try and shoot at longer ranges. Most everything I've ever seen has been close enough to hit with a rock. I want durable, compact, quick and camo. ya ya.. i know. I have a camo fetish...

rokdog13
10-12-2010, 02:34 AM
sounds like tax returns will be non-existent this year. I may not be buying anything. thanks to everybody who voted for barry obama

backcountry
06-10-2012, 08:57 PM
A buddy of mine got himself a .50 Beowolf - It is "interesting" but frankly I just don't get it - I'm not criticizing mind you, I just do not understand - accuracy at 100 yds is good when it's good and not so good when it's sporadic - Wouldn't a 308 with any 200 or 220 make more sense ?? just sayin' ......