PDA

View Full Version : moly coated bullets

rokdog13
10-05-2010, 01:30 AM
pro's and cons please. i read that you get more velocity and longer barrel life, but also read that they load up the bore with the moly coating. any experience with them?

Daveb
10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I've tried moly-coats in my varmint rifles for a couple of years. It may be true they reduce barrel wear because they're"slicker" but it takes more powder to regain the velocity you lose due to the moly. And it takes several rounds to regain the accuracy you had before cleaning your bore. I tried moly spraying the bullets and moly paste to recoat the bore after cleaning and moly removal solvent but couldn't satisfy myself that moly-coating was a good thing. Different strokes for different folks though and I have talked to some who swear by it. Maybe your gun will do better than mine. Good luck!

rokdog13
10-08-2010, 04:13 PM
everything you stated i heard from the local gun store owner about "seasoning the bore" with the moly bullets before the groups would tighten up. He said everybody who had been in the store said pretty much what you said. It seems like it would take less powder to get the same velocity though.. weird.
I got 55 grain BARNES TSX rounds today. match primers and VARGET powder.
no excuses now! I just have to finish my little Man cave, move my drumset to a friends so i have room to learn how to reload. wish me luck!!!

Catfish
10-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I ruined the barrel on a .17 Rem. with Molly build up, I`ll never shoot it in any of my guns again.

rokdog13
11-06-2010, 01:55 PM
hey catfish,
That sounds pretty cut and dried. But, I'd like to get some info from you.
Was the gun pretty new when you started running the moly bullets through the bore? how often did you clean the gun? Did you switch bullets alot, clean in between? I've only heard one guy say anything good about them but he's only burned up one box so far so I guess i'm going to stay away from them. But I would like as much info as I can get.