PDA

View Full Version : reloading for semi auto rifles

rokdog13
11-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I am going to buy a thumper soon. Most likely the Bushmaster .450.
Thinking about reloading for a semi-auto and how it differs from a bolt gun has me wanting to pick some brains. With a bolt gun you can fire form the casing then neck size it for improved accuracy and play with the bullet seating depth.
With a rifle like an AR I'm thinking none of this is possible.
The .450 is a straight case wall so full sizing is required pretty much every time and I keep thinking messing with the C.O.L. sounds bad, if not impossible. Haven't gotten any literature on reloading the .450 yet so I'm just thinking and wondering hoping for some answers. ??

Jim_Fleming
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
When reloading for a semi-auto, you're going to have to sort of learn how much to resize your cases, so that the rifle will function with the ammo you're making.

If I understand you correctly, this Bushmaster .450 is a hunting gun. And since it's a thumper, I don't think you're going to plink with it a whole lot, unlike the two semi-auto ammo eaters I have. If you're not going to be shooting it a heckuva lot, why not simply full length resize each and every time?

This would enhance reliability and function. But as I said, you're going to have to work with that gun and see what it likes.

It's that simple.