PDA

View Full Version : half cocked

terribletimmy3
11-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Greetings Gun Lovers

Like to shoot a smith and wesson 686-6 performance center revolver with light rail. Using a streamlight TLR-2 with strobe.(dosent hold zero for me at 20 yards)
Iron sight OK.
Also shooting a model 17-9 smith classic in 22.

Getting to the point where supplies are too much so...... bought some goodies to try to get more rounds to shoot.

Greenhorn been buying cast bullets for awhile $80/1000 357 semi wad cutters with out gas checks and reloading 38 special 3 grains bullseye. Been reloading on a Lyman all american the oarnge one circa 1970? works OK.

The equipment just bought NIB novice operator.:

Just bought some unrefined beeswax and want to make some bullet lube for my Lyman 4500 never used yet. Has anybody tried the lithium grease, beeswax,carabua?carwax formulae, Felix formulae sounds like alot of work too me. The bees wax goes for $3.50 a imperial pound here.

Just bought the entry level Lyman casting kit with the 10 pound furnace with non adjustable temperatue. Going to try some alloy 2 soon with a 4 cavity Lyman mould looks like iron.

Not to exited about non adjustable temp any body tried it?

I also bought a free check for making gas checks out of 8 thosandths stock, thinking of doubling up pop can sides anybody tried that? I realize I dont need gas checks at my loads but being frugal thought I would get the capability anyway (first mould ever).

So if succesfull will be casting bullets gas checking them sizing them lubing them hopefully for less than buying them not including time.

I have enjoyed reading your forums and the tips have helped alot. Thanks I will let you all know how it goes and perhaps get some advice should I hit a snag.

Tim Winnipeg
:fighting67:

kodiak1
11-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Tim welcome to the site.
For lube in pistolla's I usually use 50 50 Alox and Bees wax. I have had very little problems with leading as I don't usually try to push my lead to extreme velocity.
The free check maker are suppose to work fine. I don't know how well you will make out doubling up pop cans as I think the outer check will come off.
The Lee pot is a fine size for starting out but I didn't realize they built them with out temp control that is kind of fubar.

Good Luck Ken