PDA

View Full Version : 1911 grip replacement

rokdog13
12-10-2010, 01:42 AM
I own a Kimber PRO CDP ll that I just don't want to carry in the woods. It's just to nice of a gun. I've been struggling with selling it and getting another Glock like the G30 but I just cannot part with it.
So, I want to replace the grips, ugly it up a bit I guess. I'd like to have grips that will give good purchase even if it fell in a bucket of oil. Abrasive.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
I am taking my Ruger Bearcat .22 manufacture date 8-'62 to cabelas and swapping it for the Kimber .22 conversion slide so I can practice with my Kimber cheaper.
I love the little Ruger, but I just dont want a gun I dont feel comfortable using because its a collectors item or just to fancy.
everybody let me know if you have any suggestions on the grips/

markinalpine
12-12-2010, 08:00 AM
My brother wanted to make the grip on his 1911 wider for fit purposes, not because the grips were pretty, in fact they were quite plain, but because he has large hands. Anyway, he used two thin pieces of wooden veneer from an old beat up dresser in his garage, maybe 1/16" thick, cut to fit under the factory grips, then covered it all with this sandpaper like tape, making sure to not cover over the grip safety. This work, but it is UGLEEEE! :happy36:

Mark :mrgreen:

rokdog13
12-18-2010, 03:21 AM
I've decided to trade my Kimber in for a more utilitarian piece. I love the gun, and swore I'd always keep it. But I don't like carrying it hiking or hunting because the gun is just to nice. the front strap gives excellent purchase but is alot more delicate to dings and scratch's than I'd like. The wood grips are way to sensitive. The coloring on the frame scratch's way to easy. I hate to say I'm trading down to a
G30 S.F. and I'm going to get 2 round mag extensions and a big stack of mag's.
12 rounds of .45 with the extensions will be overkill.
I looked and the XDm in .45 but the piece is HUGE! I've owned a few Glocks so I think the G30 S.F. (short frame) will be perfect. I was thinking of the G36 but it only holds 6 rounds and isn't that much smaller. The G30 is plenty compact so add a mag extension and still be easily concealable.
Owning the Kimber PROCDP has been like owning a classic car. I fell in love with the look and it is an excellent accurate piece, but it's just too nice for my lifestyle. Sliding down a mud embankment to get to the animal I just harvested and getting it muddy just makes a guy sick.