PDA

View Full Version : handgun scopes

mikefrompa
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a 454 casull and right now it wears a 4x Leupold on it. Would you trust swapping it out for a Weaver or Burris 2x? I like my Leupold but I like the wider f.o.v. with a 2x. Any opinions?

versifier
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
I like Leupold 2X EER scopes a lot and think they are the max magnification you want in a hunting handgun. I have two of them, one on a revolver and one now on an 8x57 rifle in a scout mount. The second scope was used on a bunch of Contender barrels including hard kicking 10" & 14" .30-30's, 30Herrett's, and .35rems. I'm very happy with both of them. I found a Leupold 4X EER to be excellent at the range for testing loads but way too much in the field on any of my handguns, it now sits on a rifle in a scout mount. The longer eye relief on these scopes makes them very versatile for more than just handguns. Bottom line is with a handgun at 4X I had a harder time keeping a live target in my scope (even if it was a squirrel and a .22lr) and at 2X it is doable, my eyes, my guns. There's nothing wrong with a good red dot sight on a big handgun in the field, either.