PDA

View Full Version : Berry's Bullets- 357 magnum

Daveb
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with Berry's bullets in 357 magnum. I have been using the 158 grain SWC plated bullet in a S&W 586 and my Rossi M92 for about a year with no problems but now I would like to "step up" velocity at least in the rifle from the current 1150 fps to around 1400 fps. I know the manufacturer says no faster than cast bullet velocity should be used but I have several friends who have been shooting them much faster. I guess my question is- has anyone had any "untoward experiences" with these bullets coming apart? I use a Lee factory crimp die with just a slight roll crimp as the final step. My loading technique includes having only 2 rounds in my rifle at one time. I have one in the chamber and one in the magazine while shooting cowboy lever action silhouettes.Thanks for any input out there.

versifier
03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I can and do regularly push cast bullets well over 2000fps, though admittedly not in a .357mag. And the bullets are ALWAYS .002-.003" over the barrel's groove diameter. A plated bullet like Berry's is simply a cast bullet with a few layers of copper molecules electroplated onto it. It does not have the strength of a jacket. The bullets are usually undersized (right around .358") for cast, and the plating does help to minimize leading at lower velocities, but when you start to push them to higher velocities, you run into the hard/small syndrome which can quickly turn your barrel into a lead mine. IF they only made them at .360", you could push them up to 1500fps even without a gas check. But they don't. How fast can you go? The only way to find out is by experimenting and keep checking the bore to see when the leading starts so you can stop there and drop the charge to the last clean increment. Just so you know, if you push it and don't pay close attention, all of a sudden the rifle will start printing shotgun patterns instead of groups and at that point you will need to order a Lewis Tool from Brownells and spend several hours mining lead out of your grooves, or mosst of a day trying to do it with bronze brushes and solvent. Been there, done that, DON'T recommend it. ;)

If you are really wanting to push cast at decent velocities in your rifle and you don't cast yourself, you can get gas checked bullets of the proper diameter and alloy from the BullShop at very reasonable prices (considering they're all made by hand). You can find a link to them on the Home Page or at Cast Boolits. Of course the best way to get what you need is to start casting for yourself, but I have to warn you it can be habit forming......