PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapons by Ruger

Kelly J
05-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I recently got a Ruger LCR 38 Special for my Wife as her CCW, this is but a 5 shot revolver but a good one the accuracy is there the ease of use is there and conceal ability is quite good and with the concealed Hammer no hang ups on the draw, loaded with the New Hornady Critical Defense Ammo, Formidable.

The second I have not acquired but gave it a good looking over Ruger 1911 45 ACP all I can say id if you are looking for Quality of Workmanship, detail to fit and finish, along with serviceability, its there. Hornady also offers the 45 ACP in Critical Defense Ammo.

If you would like to see the demonstration of the Critical Defense Ammo check out their website, they demonstrated it and the LCR 38 Special.

Ruger 45 1911 http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html
Ruger LCR Revolver http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo:
38 Special and +P http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-110-gr-Critical-Defense/

45 Auto http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense/

canyon-ghost
07-03-2011, 06:19 AM
http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Kelly J
07-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I looked at this weapon it is nice but I personally do not like the 9mm, to much penetration not much stopping power, I'm not saying it won't do the job just saying I don't like this caliber.BUt if given this as my only weapon at hand it would do.

canyon-ghost
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Size and weight is what I'm looking at. Just sitting at the kitchen table, any gun at hand is bigger and heavier. My thought was it would be similar to the 'truck gun', a little pack gun that would be handy. Of course, eventually, a guy would leave it in one spot.

As far as not liking the 9mm goes, I see a ton of .380s and 32 calibers selling nowdays. Have a few 32 magnums. Still, a 9mm is a step up from them in power. Of course a .45 has the most stopping power, that's the main thing in favor of a .45. But, in this case, if you look at the dimensions, this weapon is considerable smaller, more compact than even the 9mm itself. And the price tag is nice compared to a Springfield EMP subcompact.

Kelly J
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
There is much to be said for the many small sized weapons available to day for CCW purposes, I personally carried an EAA Witness Elite Match for a while it is an excellent weapon and very accurate, it started out as a 40 S&W, then I converted it to a 10mm, I still have a problem wit the FBI saying the 10m is too much to handle. the major difference between the two calibers is 1/8th of an inch in the powder can length, major drawback is empty it weighs in at 32 oz. fully loaded with one in the pipe and 15 in the box, you get the picture.
I saw the add for the new Remington R1 1911 45 ACP, made the mistake of picking one up to check it out, never should have done that it is now my carry weapon and with a IWB CCW Holster it is comfortable and easily concealable, my only other option would be a Compact 45 ACP or the new 45 Gap, I like both.

backcountry
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Most gunshops are having trouble keeping the Ruger LCR's in stock ! I'm told they are flying off the shelves - the 38 spcl is a tried and true close quarters defense cartridge fit for a lightweight firearm, the kind of gun you CARRY ON YOU so you can have a chance of making it back to the truck where your fightin' gun resides ! .380, 9mm, heck 22 WMR are all in a different category nowadays !! "good bullets" = better stoppers - Personally, I'll take a 22lr in my pocket over a "DAMN ! I left the .45 in the car" any day !

versifier
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
And I bet most of them will be back on the used shelf right after their new owners fire them. I had the chance to shoot a new LCR side by side with my older S&W m39. There was no comparison between the two. The Ruger sprayed six different kinds of ammo, both factory and handloads, like shotgun patterns at 15'. The recoil with even light WC target loads was painful, but with carry loads it was downright abusive, even worse than a derringer in the same chambering. In contrast, the S&W was easier to shoot and control, and produced tighter groups at 25yds than the LCR did at 15 FEET. No one wants to pull the trigger when it hurts every time, and no one will want to do much practicing with one either. IMO any carry gun you don't/won't practice with is a liability when you really need it, and whining about how heavy to carry other revolvers are just doesn't cut it when your life or the lives of those you care about are in danger. Not bashing Rugers in general, I really liked Ruger's LCP and SR9, and also their larger revolvers, but I think the LCR is an overpriced, poorly engineered POS. To be fair, I'm not really impressed with anything S&W has been producing the last few years - accuracy, QC, and fit&finish aren't what they used to be, and the locks they put on all of their products today are more useless than a radar antenna on a summer squash. Bottom line: there are much better Ruger products to spend your hard earned money on. Get a bigger new Ruger revolver or and older Ruger or S&W if you want to carry a wheelgun. With them you will enjoy shooting and be more than willing to put in the practice time necessary to master them.

Kelly J
06-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I hate to admit it but as for the LCR is painfull to shoot, I bought the LCR 38 Special one for the Wife and one for myself. Went to the Range to try mine out and the grip forced my middle finger into the discomfort zone, came home after 25 rounds of 38 Special Full Factory Loads bruised and disapointed, traded the 38 Special for the .22 see how it works out later this month.

backcountry
06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
same story for me with the J-frame but you know how "we" all say that we never feel the recoil when shooting at an animal ? I'll bet the same will be said about defending one's self as well - As far as the LCR "spraying all over the place at 15' " I wouldn't know myself but I'll ask the 6 or 7 friends that carry them daily and get back to you - I suppose a person could find something negative to say about just about anything if they tried hard enough, "ME" ? I'll try for some positive and move to the next ........

Kelly J
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I decided IO will stick with my Remington R-I .45 ACP it works it points Perfectly it is totally reliable and I can can conceal it quite nicely in a Jackass Slide Holster with the Muzzel put into my hip pocket. 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket Round Nose, at 830 FPS worked for 101 Years and counting.

C1PNR
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I like my 2" "Lady Smith" .38 Special. It's the old hammerless, Centennial style in a lightweight frame. I've been through about 2 boxes of my carry "Defense" loads. It shoots minute of perp at 7 yards without hurting my hand or fingers. I did change out the tiny splinter type smooth wood grips for a slightly bigger finger groove smooth wood for a little better control. It slips in and out of a vest pocket, front pants pocket, small bag, etc. I don't carry it in my back pants pocket as it prints when I bend over and many of my jackets and even shirts don't come down far enough to cover reliably.

railroadman
09-28-2013, 05:32 AM
Some Rugers I like are the P89 9mm.(2) P90 45acp,Ruger Old Army (2)I also like the S&W mod 28 .357mag.S&W 1917 45acp 1911 45acp 380acp,and a CZ52 pistol.1895ss 45/70,marlin 336 30/30,cap&wall revolvers ROA,and 1858 rem.Pietta