PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Northtide
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm an old gun plummer living in Missouri. I do my best to "Rescue" old Elsie's, High Standard pistols, Colt pre-Woodsman, and anything else that's OLD and shoots.

versifier
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Welcome to Gunloads, Northtide. Any pictures of recent rescues?

kodiak1
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Northtide
Welcome pictures are great!

Ken.

Northtide
11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
This old girl took over thirty years to find all the parts to reassemble. I do all my own stock work.

versifier
11-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Wow! Nice job. That's a beautiful piece of walnut. Too pretty to haul through the puckerbrush and briars chasing partridges now though. Have to stick to pheasants in open fields with it. :rolleyes:

fryboy
11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
reminds me of my engraved elsie project action ..... agreed nice wood ( and work ) and welcome to the board ( from a voracious reader and seldom commentor )

Northtide
12-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I am working on a Martini Cadet that has been gouged out to .32/20 Winchester. I plan on re cutting the chamber to .32/40 Winchester to use the 5 groove original barrel. I have a piece of "Flame" walnut with 100% figure on BOTH sides of the flick that I plan on using for the stock/full fore end. The last one I did with that type of figuring looks almost translucent. I just hope it doesn't fade on me when I start cutting.

kodiak1
12-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Northtide that is some fine looking shooting irons.
I like the work you do. Great to see what a person can accomplish when he takes a hobby serious.

Ken.

Northtide
12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
In 1974 a Master Gunsmith took me in as an apprentice. I was a police officer at the time and he sorta helped me along with the guns. He had me buy a foot locker full of old double barrel shotgun parts at a gun show. None of the guns had any wood. I soon learned why most stock makers scream into their pillows at night when asked to stock an L.C. or Parker side lock. I "Rescued" 23 L.C. Smith, 1 Parker B grade, several other various makes and models. I still have them. They are all very good shooters. Each of them has it's own mutton leg leather case that I also "Rescued" from various sources so the "Old Ladies" (Elsie's) would be properly attired when in the field. The Parker is a snob so he has a hard leather case.
Hurricane HUGO was a God send to this project. The hurricane knocked over all those 100 yr old walnut, cherry, and maple trees on my brothers farm in Virginia. He and I have about 400 stock flicks to work with now. Remember the old saw about an ill wind?