PDA

View Full Version : Contenders, RBH's & .30 Carbine

versifier
12-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Does anybody else out there shoot the .30 carbine out of Contenders or Ruger Black Hawks? I've been experimenting with all kinds of bullets looking for something that expands on game at these relatively low (for .30 cal) velocities and would like to share some loading data.

C1PNR
12-04-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm not going to be much help, BUT! I have been shooting the .30 Carbine in a G.I. for several years, just haven't tried them, yet, out of my "new to me" Blackhawk.

I've tried the 100 Hornady RN (plinker, I think they call it) with 14 gr H 110 and WLR primers in RA 53 brass. No chronograph data, but my notes say Accurate.

I think my favorite, though, is the Lyman 311359 @ 120 gr with my alloy. Over 12 or 13 gr H 4227 with same primers but LC 5 brass. No expansion, but rabbits go NOWHERE!;)

Good luck!

versifier
12-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I also have a post-war M1 Carbine that I enjoy shooting, but I have always been intrigued by the idea of a high pressure .30 cal round for the Contender for small game hunting.
I like and use the Lee #90362 "soupcan" 113FPGC (107 in pure lino), and Lee .308 sizer with acceptable results.
Regular JSP 110gr of different brands for the rifle are all very accurate, but the velocities are too low for expansion. They'd be great if I only wanted to shoot at targets. The barrel seems to like this weight best so far, not too surprising, I guess, as that's what it was designed for.
I have been trying Sierra 85gr, though it's hard to get them to seat concentrically due to so little bearing surface. Best results with them have come from running them through the carbide sizer after seating, but the accuracy is still not satisfactory, though I do believe they'll expand well if I can hit on the right combination. Unique works fine for the other two, but I'm going to try another powder.
Also in the testing process are Lee #90301 100g 2R (about 95g), but the jury's still out.
I think I'm going to have Lee make me a custom sizer in .310. Then I should be able to switch to a softer alloy like ww and either Lee cast should do the trick without leading.
When you start to play with your Ruger, use new brass. It takes too much abuse in the rifle's looser chamber and needs radical sizing. This works and stretches it much more than necessary and then it's a bitch to trim with those small case heads. Current lot of Contender brass is on it's sixth loading and still hasn't needed a trimming.

45nut
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I just lucked upon a 30 carbine barrel,part of a package buy ,,old blue frame,22lr,221 and 30 barrels.
SO far I have just been shooting up old factory ammo stashed from before I was a twit and traded off a winchester carbine for a 68 dodge pickup. Yeah,,a dodge. Never again,worst trade I have ever made,I shoulda walked....
Anyway,,so far that has ben a smooth shooting combo,nice mid level recoil,hardly more than a 38 special,but boy the apples sure get blown up! Instant mist and chunks,,,well,,tiny tiny chunks. :D
I will add,,the story on the Rem 788,very nicely written. Kudo's are earned there.
I have a pair of 788's in 222 and 30-30 and they arent going anywhere.

versifier
12-08-2005, 09:17 PM
About twenty years ago, I sold a beautiful one in .30-30 to a youngster who just had to have a deer rifle. A week later he dropped one of the biggest bucks I've ever heard of in these parts. It was a tack driver and I've been kicking myself ever since, but it went to a good home and a better hunter and it gets used every year and puts something in the freezer. When I owned it, it tested ammo and took out the occasional woodchuck that was foolish enough to have lunch in our garden. Now I'm waiting to happen on one in .223 and .243 when I actually have some cash. Never seem to have the one when I find the other....:violin:

nighthunter
02-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I recently aquired a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine (4 months ago). I had bought my son an older 3 screw 30 carbine in Blackhawk chambering. I liked it so much that I bought this one for myself. The trigger on the 3 screw in definately much better and will put 6 factory rounds into 1 ragged hole at 25 yards. I had Dan at MM make me up a 120 gr FNGC (80% meplat) mold and have only had a chance to shoot it on 1 occasion. With 11.5 gr WC 820(n) and this bullet out of the newer Blackhawk about 35 rounds stayed inside 2 inches at 25 yards. I think I can eventually fall in love with this pistol. Just gonna take a little tweaking of the load. I have not tried this load in the 3 screw Blackhawk. The 3 screw Blackhawk definately has a lot better trigger. Maybe the newer one just needs a little stoneing to improve it.
A lot of other folks have to have one of these 30 Carbines. What are your results and do you have any reloading favorites that you would care to share?
Nighthunter

C1PNR
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I just happen to have some of that WC 820, so I put that 11.5 gr load in my "To Try" listing. I'll try some behind my 311316 FNGC that casts ~ 118 gr with my alloy.

I might try the 311410, but I'm afraid it'll be a little heavy. The 311359 might work, too. That would be neat, having one load to shoot out of the carbine and the BH.;)