PDA

View Full Version : TC Renegade discontinued

versifier
12-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I found out yesterday that Thompson/Center is discontinuing the Renegade. It is still available from their custom shop, Fox Ridge, but as they're all made in the same factory, I'm given to wonder how long they will continue to offer one of the best, IMHO, caplock actions on the market today. Fox Ridge models all use much nicer walnut (they always get the selected blanks) and supposedly assemble and fit the locks with a bit more care (not that I have ever had any complaints with the regular models). The double trigger models have continued to be available from FR, too, that were discontinued in the regular model some years back. Combined with a peep sight and the versatility of Green Mountain RB Co.'s reasonably priced and incredibly accurate drop-ins available in everything from .36 to .58 cals, you can end up with a blackpowder system like the Contender or Encore for cartridges that's good for targets or any kind of game you can think of. If you're sitting on the fence about getting one, I'd do it now. I know I'm sounding like a sales rep, but I am not. I just love to shoot mine and have nothing negative to say about them, though a recoil pad is a nice addition for shooting the bigger bores.

C1PNR
12-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Too bad about the Renegade. I bought one many years ago in .54 caliber. It shoots the round ball quite well, but what I REALLY like is the way it shoots the 533476 Mini?.

I used to load it up with 110 to 120 gr of ffG and the 420 gr Mini?! What a stomper! I quit doing that a LONG time ago.;)

I had a local gunsmith who kind of specialized in BP do a new stock for mine. Put on some different furniture, too. I kept the trigger, lock, barrel and sights. Nice rifle!

Then when I left town it was stored at my Brother's house, in the basement. A pipe broke, cracked I guess, and went undetected for quite some time. This one, a Japanese copy of an 1863 Springfield, and a Zoli Zouave were all victims, along with my 1903A3.

I did get a new barrel for the 1903A3 from GPC, but it's still at the gunsmiths. One of these days I'll look into new barrels for the muzzleloaders, but I don't know when. That Zouave was a good shooter, too.:(

versifier
12-19-2005, 01:09 AM
If the lock on your Renegade is still OK, you might want to check out the selection of drop-in barrels in many calibers at Green Mtn: www.gmriflebarrel.com They have all kinds of interesting things from m/l barrels and accessories to 10/22 and 77/22 replacements. Their customer service is great, and they have people that actually know something to answer your questions and deal with problems. They're having a twofor special on drop-ins right now, too. :D

454PB
02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm not really a BP guy, but I have a TC Renegade that I bought from an ex-friend when was hurting for money. I've been trying to sell or trade it locally with no success.

Trigger Phinger
02-17-2006, 11:37 PM
454PB, I would like to have a TC Renegade! I have lots of surplus reloading equipment. Would you consider some kind of cash/equipment swap?
Shipping a BP gun to FL is no problem!

454PB
02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Sure, all trades considered. You can contact me offline at:

eddard49@hotmail.com