PDA

View Full Version : New guy from WV on board!

WVHunter129
12-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Hello, everyone. I came across this site from another forum and thought I would check it out. Been reloading my own ammo now for 2 years. Still operating small. I reload for my 30-06, 303 British, 38/357 and 9mm Luger. I also reload 8x57 (8mm) for my son.

Hope to read some interesting posts, and I hope I may have something to offer.

Gunload Master
12-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome to GL WVhunter. Glad to have another reloader on board! What board did you find us from?

WVHunter129
12-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome Gunload Master.

I was on the Hunters Vacation site http://rookierover.proboards34.com

I use to be a mod there until my West Virginia Hunting Forum took off and then I had to give up the mod duties there.

Glad to be here and I hope to learn from the site, since I am really new to reloading.

Gunload Master
12-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Don't be shy to ask questions :)

Oldbushman
12-11-2005, 12:19 PM
G'day W V great to see another .303 Brit shooter on the board . Over the years I've lost count of how many I've owned (to say nothing of the convertions 22,25 ,270- 303 ect ) Great rifles great cal!

Dave

WVHunter129
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dave! Yes I love that 303...couldn't pry that one from my dead fingers! I like a lot of the old military rifles...the 303, 7x57 and 8x57 German Mausers. My son has the 8x57 German Mauser, I use to have one and I also had the 7x57 but like a fool I sold it. Now you can't find that one anymore, you can still find the 8x57's but not that 7x57...well not in German Mauser with the turned down style bolt.

I hope to get in here more often, just with hunting season and work time is limited...especially around the holidays.

Oldbushman
12-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Years ago here in Auz they flooded the market with 8x57 mausers ,but it was really hard to get a 7x57 I owned one for several years & it was my Back up /spare hunting rifle when I was on camels. It's a great cal that never seemed to catch on here in Auz which to me has always been a great pity. Probarly the wort thing that they brought into the country was the 6.5 Carcano! I was working in a large Shooting Camp up North & one of the other Buff shooters saw a ad for 6.5's for $45.00 + 100 rnds of ammo ! Needless to say we all ordered one as Pig rifles It took 3 mths to get rid of the Danmed things ranging from complete with 99to 85 rnds of ammo

WVHunter129
12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Oh, I ave seen those 6.5's and I wouldn't go as far as to wrap it around a tree...it would be a waist of my time...LOL.

Give me the old German Mausers or a 303 British any day!!

Of course the main rifle I hunt with is a Model 700 Remington in 30-06 and I also have the Remington Model 742 BDL semi-auto and the Model 760 BDL pump in 30-06 as well. But, I use the 303 occasionally just to get it out and use it. Most of the time I like taking it to the range to burn up some targets and get some looks at me with the old rifle.

versifier
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I think Carcanos kind of went out of favor here after a certain incident in Dallas, Texas in the '60's. Not that they were ever very popular, but they were cheap to buy.

Oldbushman
12-15-2005, 01:22 AM
I think Carcanos kind of went out of favor here after a certain incident in Dallas, Texas in the '60's. Not that they were ever very popular, but they were cheap to buy.

I don't know blame the Rifle! Really what ever happened to blaming the nut behind the Butt!
They might be Cheap to Buy but try & find somebody stupid enough to buy it off ya! Ok Oswold was the exception!

Dave

versifier
12-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't dream of blaming the rifle, and the nut happily is long dead. I was just pointing out that after all these years they still cause muttering whenever there's one in the used gun racks, and no one ever seems to get around to mentioning the fact that their engineering shortcomings alone are more than enough reason to leave them gathering dust.

Oldbushman
12-16-2005, 03:03 AM
I can't but help thinking that the designer of the Carcanno would have sat down in a quiet cnr somewhere .Put his face in his hands & screamed .......WHAT HAVE I DONE?????

Dave

versifier
12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, and if he were to have taken a short trip to France, he'd have found a great drinking buddy in the designer of a certain machine gun of that era....:D

rocklock
03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, another new guy from WV here, but I feel left out.

I actually like my Carcanos... :mrgreen:

Oldbushman
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM

G'day ! Your most welcome here ..........Even liking "Carcanos":violin: (Only funning with ya:mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Dave

C1PNR
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd like to get a Carcano like the one I had in High School. I forget the model, but it was the same as Oswald used. I bought it for $29.00 and hocked it 10 years later for $5.00.:(

It wasn't a bad rifle, just didn't have the best sighting system. My only real reason to replace it is I hate the thought of having gotten rid of any firearm.

Oh well, some day I'll see one at the Gun store, Gun show, or an auction and I can fill that little niche.

rocklock
03-02-2006, 06:38 PM
G'day ! Your most welcome here ..........Even liking "Carcanos":violin: (Only funning with ya:mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Dave

You probably don't want to hear about the Berthiers, then...:twisted:

Oldbushman
03-03-2006, 12:18 AM
You probably don't want to hear about the Berthiers, then...:twisted:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Or the MAS's :-D

Dave

rocklock
03-03-2006, 05:15 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Or the MAS's :-D

Dave

Got one o'them, too...

Ugly as sin dipped in misery, but one of the most accurate cast bullet shooters of all my milsurps.

WVHunter129
03-03-2006, 08:11 PM

Welcome rocklock!

Glad to see a fella WV'n here on the board. From what I have read sounds like you have plenty of old rifles. The workmanship in some of those old rifles is a lot better than the newer ones, but I think we have come a long way on the metal used in them though.

Again, welcome!

rocklock
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Bad news, guys.

Another one followed me home... http://public.fotki.com/rocklock/mannlicher-carcano_9138/

Oldbushman
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I hate to admit it but that's a nice lookin rifle ! The ones I had problems with years ago were the Cavalry carbine . We were condemed to use exmil ammo in those days as we could'nt get cases or sporting ammo

Dave

rocklock
03-24-2006, 06:54 PM
The original cavalry carbines were made with cut-off rifle barrels. Unfortunately the Carcano rifles had a gain-twist rifling and when shortened to carbine length the twist was too slow to stabilize the bullets properly. :confused: