PDA

View Full Version : Remington Rolling Block 43 Spanish

Mickey Rat
12-08-2005, 02:50 AM
I have an 1876 Argentine in 43 Spanish. I have just started working up loads for it with a 370 grain cast bullet. So far the loads I have found were lame, and failed to properly obdurate causing blow back.

Most loads listed are modified (read that as reduced) 45-70 loads. Most black powder cartridges listed in COW, Cartridges of the World, are all about equal to the 45-70.
I believe that the Remington Rolling Block is quite a bit stronger than the Trapdoor Springfield, and mine is in great shape, so I will use 45-70 loads as a starting spot.

I have loaded up some 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield level loads for it using Trailboss and Varget. I will go to the range tomorrow and try them out.

Mickey Rat
12-10-2005, 01:03 AM
I have found out that just about ANY 45-70 load suitable for the Trapdoor Springfield works in the 43 Spanish. Hotter loads (those approaching 28000psi) work best.

Trail Boss: 13, 14 & 15 grains are a pussycat, and don't blow back from failing to seal.

I also found out that mine shoots 3 feet high @ 100 yards. I can see putting a silver dime in for a front sight soon.

Oldbushman
12-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a real shooter mate ! Intersting that it is shooting so high at 100 yrds though ! One way I found years ago tinkering with SMLE's was to put a dolop of Braze on the front sight & file it to the desired width & then fire a couple of rounds to see where it was shooting then file some off the top & so on until I got it shooting where I wanted it to! Just a suggestion

Dave

Mickey Rat
12-14-2005, 12:34 AM
My 43 Spanish was refinished when I got it, and I suspect that the front sight was polished off.

I like to look of a German Silver front sight, and the old timers used to saw/file a slot in the front sight base and silver soldier a silver dime in as a new sight. A fille was used to regulate the sights.

Oldbushman
12-14-2005, 05:56 AM
My 43 Spanish was refinished when I got it, and I suspect that the front sight was polished off.

I like to look of a German Silver front sight, and the old timers used to saw/file a slot in the front sight base and silver soldier a silver dime in as a new sight. A fille was used to regulate the sights.

My Gun smithing kit for sportirzing SMLE's has always included a hacksaw blade & triangular file for that same reason ! Also to bed the barrel a peice of car inner tube ! The methord being loosen the fore end & slide the rubber under the barrel (one thickness only ) Tightern & fire a group & move the rubber according ly until the rifle shoot well & then trim the excess rubber off (rough I know but it works a treat when your out Bush )

Dave

versifier
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Oldbushman, what a great idea! It's the same theory (resonance) as using forend pressure on the barrel, but your idea makes it adjustable. It's easier, cheaper, and I imagine just as effective as the B.O.S.S. system on Brownings and Winchesters, an engineer's expensive attempt to adjust the resonance point to customize the barrel to the chosen load. Free floating will usually make a barrel less selective about what it shoots, but resonance adjustment will make it shoot its best load even better. :cool:
It never fails to amaze me when someone comes up with a simple and elegant solution to a problem that designers and engineers have been contrapting increasingly compelx gizmos to try and solve. Like the youngster who sees the old farmer at the county fair looking over a huge new machine. "What is it?" he asks. "Separator," the old man replies. "What's it separate?" "Dang fools from their money.":D

Oldbushman
12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks Versifier. I can't take credit for the idea as it was shown to me about thirty years ago,when I worked in my first Buff shooting Camp ! The Old Bloke who taught me the Trick Brought new meaning to the expresstion Nercessity is the mother of all invention ! He was a pearl of wisdom! (when you seprated fact from him playing a joke on you ) His fav saying to New Chums was, if you get lost out here..........Go straight home !!!!!!!!

Dave