PDA

View Full Version : Winchesters XP3 Big Game Bullet

Gunload Master
12-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Those are a nice looking bullet.. 24hourcampfire has an article:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/index.html

versifier
12-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Is this, just like the silvertip, another bullet that will be unavailable to handloaders? I don't see any mention of plans to market them in anything but factory ammo. For the extortional (hey, I like that word!) price of a box of their "Supreme Elite" (la-de-dahmyshitdontstink) ammo, I can handload over 100 rounds with my favorite Sierra GameKing bullets. (Maybe they won't penetrate three feet if you hit an elk up the wazoo with one, but a quartering shot like that I believe is not only unethical to begin with but also a shameful waste of good meat. Or maybe they are hunting for nothing more than horns, something that in my book is morally no better than poaching.) :p
The Failsafes and regular Nosler Partitions aren't cheap, but at least you can buy them by the box and load your own with them. I could possibly see "needing" a bullet like this XP3 for dangerous game like grizzlies, Kodiak, and Polar bears in N America, or the some of biggies in Africa if and when solids aren't a better choice, but for any members of the deer family even as big as moose, they are clearly extreme overkill. For 99% of American hunters, I think they're titsonabull useless and no more than another gimmik to sucker in those who have to show off their incomes by getting the newest and latest regardless of whether or not it has any practical use. I see this as nothing more or less than another attempt to market a another largely unnecessary product to a bunch of lazy, overread, and overfed wannabes that think they cay buy a magical alternative to their poor marksmanship and lack of any awareness of ethical hunting practices. :violin:
There. Both Barrels. Anyone else?