PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Buck Taken with Nosler 150 gn ballistic tip

WVHunter129
12-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Here is a picture of the second deer that I have taken since getting into reloading.

Taken on: November 25th, 2005 at 7:55 AM
Taken with: Remington Model 700 30-06 with 6-24x50 Tasco Scope
Bullet: Reloads - Nosler 150 gn Ballistic Tip, 48 gns IMR 4064 Powder, Remington Brass and CCI Primers
Place Taken: Run and Gun Club, Fayette County, WV
Measurements: Inside Spread 11.5 inches, Outside Spread 12.75 inches, G1's both 2.25 inches, G2's: left side 4 inches, right side 3.5 inches, Beam length: both beams 14 inches
Weight: 110 lbs
Shot Placement: left shoulder

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/WVHunter129/6pointer112505.jpg

================================================== ===================================

Here is me with my 5 point that I got in 2004 with my first reloads.

This is me with my 5 point buck taken on Thursday, November 25th, 2004 at around
9 AM. I got this buck using my Remington Model 700 30-06 and my reloads which were Nosler 150 gn Spitzer (ballistic tip), 48 gns of IMR-4064 powder, Remington brass and CCI primers. I am proud of this buck since it was taken with my reloaded ammo.

http://www.qsl.net/wd8wv/Hunting/Nov28-03.jpg

C1PNR
12-18-2005, 07:04 PM
WVHunter129, good job on both Deer. It really does give you a good feeling to take your game with a load you developed yourself, for your particular rifle.

I've been shooting the Speer 165 SPBT out of my '06 for a long time. I originally chose the load as a good compromise for both Deer and Elk. This was back in the days of young family and no money and the '06 was IT!:)

Now that I've got the .300 Win Mag and a 7mm Rem Mag that I usually take for Elk, I'm thinking of loading 150 Noslers for the '06. I'll have to work hard to get a new load for this old M70 Winchester that'll maintain the accuracy tradition of that 165 gr load. But that's half the fun!;)

versifier
12-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Nice pair of bucks, WV. If you're still interested in experimenting, have you tried any Sierras out of your Remington yet? I will use 165gr & 180gr Nosler Partitions for bigger game like moose, but I have found the Sierras to be noticeably more accurate than both the PARs and the Ballistic Tips. I have tested them in .30-06's in Springfields, Rem 700s & a 7400, and M1 Garands, and also in .308's. I would recommend you checking out their Spitzer Boattail Pro Hunters in 150gr (#2125) & 165gr (#2145), and see what they do on paper out of your rifle. I use 4064 and also 3031 in both size cases with very good results, and 4895 is a favorite for shooting match bullets in the Garand. I'm not knocking the performance of the Ballistic Tips, merely saying I haven't found them to be as accurate in several dozen rifles in which I've tried them. While that's no guarantee they'll shoot better in your rifle, the boattails do retain more energy and shoot a bit little flatter out to what I consider their practical effective range for deer, about 250yds. (That's about as far as I would consider a shot from a solid rest to be sure of a clean kill.) I will usually try five or six different bullets and three or four powders in a new rifle to see what ones it likes best.

WVHunter129
01-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks versifier I will look into the Sierras. I have some in 150 grain but they are hollow points and I figured I would burn them up on some coyotes...LOL.

As I am new to reloading I look forward to any advice from more experienced reloaders.

Sorry so long getting back...holidays and vacation.

PS: I retrieved the core of the Nosler from the buck I took this year. All of the copper jacket was gone it was the lead core. It traveled from the shoulder, took out the back bone just below the neck and traveled down to his privates. When I started to cut them off the core fell in my hand.