PDA

View Full Version : handloadsforthehornady240gr.hp/xtpin.44magnum

david50
12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
hi everyone,i'm new to this site ,i ran across it on a links page thought it look interesting. i'm also new at reloading in fact i'm just getting started i'm starting out reloading .44 magnum and .223 remington.for my .44 magnum reloads i've been using alliant 2400,alliant power pistol and imr 800x powders. i would like to make some loads useing the 240gr. hornady hp/xtp but can find no data for this bullet useing these powders. can anyone tell me any good ,safe starting loads useing these powders. any help would be very much appriciated. by the way i'm shooting a ruger super redhawk with a 7 1/2 in. barrel. thank you very much david

versifier
12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Sierra lists for Alliant 2400 and 240gr JHC bullet at 1.600" OAL:
fps est./charge weight 1250/19.5 1300/20.4 1350/21.3 MAX

800X is not listed because it is not considered a good choice for jacketed bullets in that case. 2400 is not very versatile in the .44mag and most don't bother with it for that reason, but only by trying and shooting can you find what actually shoots accurately in your gun.
Unique will make some nice low power target/practice loads (10.0 - 12.4gr, est 1100-1250fps), Lil Gun will give you the widest range of velocities (17.7gr- 22.8, est 1150-1400fps).
You need two recent manuals at the absolute minimum to load safely, and you are better off with three or four. I'd start with Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Lee, Nosler, Hodgedon. People make mistakes, and proofreaders don't necessarily know anything about the subject matter, they're just looking for spelling and gramatical errors. Having more than one reference to compare a proposed load can help you avoid nasty accidents. Also, each manual has tons of great info about the mechanics and techniques of loading, commentaries about how to build the most accurate loads, etc. They make excellent and informative reading for a beginner or a master. There are often several safe ways to get from point A to point B, and you can read about them and decide what to include or avoid in your own loading routine. Good manuals are a necessary investment and the cheapest life insurance you can buy. Good luck, and post your results!

454PB
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Of the powders mentioned, I've only used 2400, and it's not my powder of choice. However, with a 240 gr. jacketed bullet, I'd suggest your starting load be 18 gr. and a standard (non magnum) primer.

I'm with Versifier, Lil'Gun is the ticket.