PDA

View Full Version : ?groundhog hunting spots?

dirty sanchez
12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
hey guys im new to this forum, great site. i just bought a CZ550 Varmint in 22-250 and i am wanting to go groundhog/ground squirrel hunting. i live just north of kansas city missouri and would like some ideas about where to go to do this. i am thinking about lower south dakota or maybe colorado, but i dont know how to find places to go. any ideas or thoughts would be a big help.

C1PNR
12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
If you're thinking about Colorado, you might want to check out the Colorado Division of Wildlife web site at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/ for regulations.

From CDW web site:
#309 - Wyoming (Richardson's) ground squirrel, black-tailed, white-tailed, and Gunnison prairie dogs, European Starling, and English or house sparrow

A. Season Dates and Units

1. Wyoming ground squirrel, white-tailed, and Gunnison prairie dogs, European starling, and English or house sparrow:

a. Statewide: January 1 through December 31.

2. Black-tailed prairie dogs:

a. Black-tailed prairie dog hunting is prohibited east of I-25, and in Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Custer, Douglas, El Paso, Fremont, Huerfano, Jefferson, Las Animas, Larimer, Pueblo, and Weld counties.

Yes, Prairie Dogs, at least the "Black Tail" version, seem in short supply.

I haven't hunted South Dakota.

versifier
12-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Wherever there are gardens, there are woodchucks (which is what we call the little buggers here in New England). Crop farmers are plagued by them too, especially when growing anything in the cabbage family, though they'll eat just about any vegetable we can. Most of the feed and seed suppliers around here have bulletin boards which I put to good use. I have had good luck with a spiffy looking info sheet with a decent photo of one of "The Enemy" and had tear-offs reading "Woodchuck? (my phone #)". BTW, I highly recommend Sierra 55gr SBT's and HPBT's in the .22-250 - they get the job done.