PDA

View Full Version : Rifle scopes

Ableshooter
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Wondering what brand of scopes you guys are partial to. I really like Leupold for many reasons but don't have much experience with other brands. If any of you have input on Zeis, Burress, etc I would like to hear it, especially dealing with quality of optics, funtionality, eye releif, price, and warranty.

Thanks Greg

versifier
02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I like Leopold, too. A lot. Nikons are nice and a good value. I'm partial to Aimpoints, like Weavers, and I even have a Tasco that I'm not unhappy with.

Oldbushman
02-26-2006, 07:50 PM
At the top end of the scope market I love Ziess ! The only problem I have ever had with them is the cross hairs seem to me to be too thick at long distance shooting on small targets ,In the middle range of the Market ,I don't think you can go past Leupold great scopes & fantastic after market service Bushnell ,are also right up on my really like list of scopes (I've been using a x4-12 for some time now & am very impressed with it's preformance ) at the lower end of the market I reckon Burriss are hard to beat .
Dave

Ableshooter
02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't own a Zeis but I really like how the eye relief doesn't change dramatically when you run it through the power range.

I personally don't own anything but Leupold and one Sheels brand scope that was on a gun as a package deal. I wouldn't mind looking at other options accept I keep hearing terrible stories of other companies especailly Zeis not standing behind their products. With Leupold I know from experience that they stand behind their products no matter if you were the original owner or not. I got a leupold VX II 2.5-8 that I got on a gun at a gun show. Probably two to three years old. Dropped the rifle it was on and bent the scope. I sent it in to Leupold and they sent me a brand new scope. That won my loyalty right away. Have any of you had any warranty issues with other scope manufacturers and how did they come out.

kodiak1
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Ableshooter I have 6 different Burris Scopes and I like them all. They are on 220 Swift, 25-06, 338, 358 Norma, 308 Norma and a 7MM. My Leoupold is on my 375 HH. I have a 4200 Elite on my 22-250. They all do the job of all of them the Elite has the best clairity but not by much. The Burris Scopes all have the Ballistic Plex that I really like. Have a 308 Win with an antique Weaver on it that has had a few thousand rounds through it and I don't have a clue as to how many miles riding around in a pickup truck.
Also have a Simmons on a 25-06 okay and last but least a cheap bushnell on a 7-08
The only scope I had go south was a cheap Ruko on that 7MM but for $60.00 you get what you pay for.
Thanks Ken.:violin:

C1PNR
03-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Ableshooter,

I'm with you on liking the Leupolds, especially the VariX IIIs. Now I presume the VX III is the comperable model.

That said, I have a couple of Simmons "Whitetail" models, an OLD Weaver K6 I had rebuilt a few years ago, and a couple of Bushnell "Sportview" as well as an old "Bear Cub" by Kollmorgen (Redfield??). Almost all the non Leupold came on rifles I acquired.

I find most of them up to the task required of them as most are really just for fun. Serious hunting is done with a Leupold abord.

I am going to try a Burris as a "Scout" type on a milsurp, and maybe even a Bushnell pistol scope to use for another "Scout" mount rifle.

Edited to finish my thought after hitting the WRONG button.

versifier
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Leupold makes the best Scout (Intermediate Eye Relief) scope on the market, but I'm partial to Aimpoints for mid-barrel mounts.

C1PNR
03-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Versifier, are you thinking of the Leupold M8? I did come into one of those in 2.5 X fixed in very good used condition.

I obviously didn't finish my thought last night if I overlooked that one. I have real hopes for it on a Finn M39. Or maybe a Swiss K31. So much to do, so little time.

versifier
03-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Yes, but now they call them FX2's instead of M8's. Same great scope, new marketing idiot.

rocklock
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
I haunt gun shows for old Weaver scopes.

My Savage 110 has an old V8 scope with external adjustments; my Savage MkII .22 has a K2.5; my sporterized Lee-Enfield (I didn't do it!!!) has a K4 post-and-crosshair.

WVHunter129
03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Well guys I guess I am the guy that is outside the box sorta speaking. I have been and still am a Tasco user. I haven't had one fail me yet. I have the 3-9x40 scopes on both my semi auto and pump 742 BDL 30-06's and on my Model 700 30-06 I have a 6-24x42 mil dot scope on it. On my 22 bolt action JW-15 I have a 4x32 scope.

I have had Simmons and Bushnells earlier in my hunting adventures then got a Tasco and haven't went back.

I would like to be able to afford the better scopes, but a working family man with bills has to watch where the pennies go.

Maybe one day when I retire I might be able to afford to get one of the better scopes. But, I am satisfied with the Tasco's I now have and really don't have a reason to get anything else at this time.

mag_01
04-01-2006, 06:15 PM
:lol: Just started with scopes have a Tasco 3x9-40 and also a BSA-on 2 dif. 22 rifles-both good for the money--the BSA is a 4 to 7 ---30----made for 22 ---16 $ at wall mart---Tasco was 30 $ at wall mart----------next scope may be a better one but Im happy with theses scopes on two diff. 22 rifles:D