PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Home?

kodiak1
02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
:confused: Anyone here shoot front stuffers or BPCR? Would think there would have to be a couple of old smokers around here!!
I do and rather enjoy it. Right now trying to get some education on Paper Patching and where would a person order a custom mould from, 370 Grn in 40Cal or maybe one that is adjustable. Tell me something if you know and if you don't well lets chat anyway.
Thanks Ken.

rocklock
02-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, I shoot both frontstuffers (hence the nickname) and BPCR.

Unfortunately I know nada about paper patching.

Oldbushman
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
G'day Rocklock welcome to the site .Whilst I don't shoot charcoal burners myself :)
I reckon the boys over on the cast bullet forum would be the ones to ask about Paper patched bullets ! I once had a nasty experiance with a 4Bore & my Brother in law is a major Front stuffer shooter .He has come up to our place over the years & gone out scaring Goats (I didn't say how well he shoots ,or in this case how badly )

Dave

versifier
03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Kodiak1,
Go over to the CB forum and get in touch with Buckshot. He knows a lot about paper patching, and there's a lot of info there on custom mould makers and the quality of their products.
I am partial to frontstuffers myself and like my .54 caplock.

Dave,
I have met the dreaded 4Bore, too. I still flinch when I think about it and it's been over 20 years. It was a single shot, and it was five days before I could take my right hand out of my pocket. I can't help but think the shooter took as much or more punishment than the elephant, at least it was over quick for the target.

kodiak1
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Damn boys we got a bit of a thread going and that is what I wanted to do we seem to have a lot of links unused here and that just ain't right if it's there well it should be in use. I will take the advice on looking up buckshot and quizz him up on that.
Thanks Guy's, Ken:mrgreen:

Oldbushman
03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Dave,
I have met the dreaded 4Bore, too. I still flinch when I think about it and it's been over 20 years. It was a single shot, and it was five days before I could take my right hand out of my pocket. I can't help but think the shooter took as much or more punishment than the elephant, at least it was over quick for the target.

Mate I feel your pain ! I was the same ! The monster I took on was a Old Punt gun & had a barrel about 6foot long (we had a Bloke stand on a chair to load it ) I really thought I was crippled & I could'nt shoot for a week ! I did'nt know that a bruise could have so many colours !:violin: ! I take my hat off to people like Selous that used these canons all the time ! I think it was Selous who wrote the calculation of Big game hunting ....... A 150lbs Man ,Shoots a 20lbs rifle ,At a 3 Ton Elephant != They both fall over! Who ever gets up first is the Winner ......This is the Law of the Jungle

Dave

By the way Cheers Kodiak for getting this Thread up & running

versifier
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I think that the elephant hunters had no bones in their shoulders, only cartilage with calluses over it. The one I shot was a market gun for waterfowling, no rifling, yes, a punt gun, but this one had a monopod with a spike you set in the ground. I fired birdshot. The owner liked to shoot it with ball, but he was a native Hawaiian and around 6'4", maybe 320lbs, no fat on him. He gave me many large glasses of sympathy after he picked me up off of the ground. :violin: I taught him how to shoot a handgun, when I had regained the use of my arm. He was so big that he made a 29S&W look like a derringer in his hand. :rolleyes:

Oldbushman
03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I think that the elephant hunters had no bones in their shoulders, only cartilage with calluses over it. The one I shot was a market gun for waterfowling, no rifling, yes, a punt gun, but this one had a monopod with a spike you set in the ground. I fired birdshot. The owner liked to shoot it with ball, but he was a native Hawaiian and around 6'4", maybe 320lbs, no fat on him. He gave me many large glasses of sympathy after he picked me up off of the ground. :violin: I taught him how to shoot a handgun, when I had regained the use of my arm. He was so big that he made a 29S&W look like a derringer in his hand. :rolleyes:

I hate people like that ! Your gun sounds very much like the one I fired! Except the Gentleman who owned it had been a Wild fowler in england & had used the gun complete with Punt . He was a true Gentle man & a wealth of knowlage & History ! I was sucked in to fireing said portable howiser by my brother in law as a form of revenge for all the snide coments about Blackpowder shooters (including turnning up at his range with a Milsurp WW1 Gas mask ) The saying Revenge is sweet was so true in this case !:violin:

AS for something looking like a derringer ...... A chap turned up at the range once with a .44mag in said derringer (with factory ammo ) & offered us all a shot!It had about a 3" barrel & I'm here to tell you anyone that fired that little hell cat that day need never prove his (& in one case Her) Manhood again :shock: It was a sunny day & the muzzle flash was the size of a basket ball !!!!!!!

Dave