PDA

View Full Version : Swiss cartridge for silhouette shooters

GJW
03-24-2006, 02:38 AM
For Metallic Silhouette Shooting, I have designed the 7 GJW
(CIP-List say "7 x 49 GJW".
It?s a extended 7 T/C U and optimized for the 168 gr. Matchking.
10 in. barrels make 550 m/s and 15 in = 600 m/s.
Prototype brass from the 5,6 x 50 Magnum. Also Rimmed version. Now, RUAG in switzerland make brass with original haedstamp.
See the site in german language: www.silhouetten.org

versifier
03-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the forum GJW!
Sounds good! Tell us more. That should make a decent hunting round, too, in the same range as the 7-30Waters. Does it like cast boolits? What kind of pistols have you chambered it in? Can you get Contenders and Encores in Switzerland? I would like to learn a lot more about what goes on there in the shooting sports and hunting. I imagine there should be a lot in common, and not just because alpenflage works so well for deer season here in New England. :mrgreen:
Over on the Cast Boolits forum I started a thread last year exploring the laws and regulations affecting shooters and hunters in different parts of the world, and I have learned a lot from it, but I don't remember any postings from Switzerland. Our pro-gun organizations are always touting Swiss gun laws and low crime rates in debates with the anti-gunners, but there is never anything said about the actual laws and regulations you live with, so I am curious. Any thoughts and comments will be much appreciated.

versifier
03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I should have checked out the website before posting, but as my German is almost non existant, I decided to wait. I was relieved to find the English translations, and amazed at their content. I suspect that if you are willing, there will be a lot of interesting questions coming your way. It doesn't look like much testing has been done so far with cast bullets (boolits), but the case capacity is certainly adequate (where the 7mmTCU is only marginal) and the numbers with heavier jacketed bullets are really impressive. I really like that there is a rimmed version, too

Oldbushman
03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
G'day & welcome to the site GJW. I to am interested to hear of the shooting /hunting conditions of Switzerland & how you laws are structured towards the shooter THe round sounds very interesting & I will be watching with intrest !

Dave