PDA

View Full Version : Federal or Winchester Brass

Ableshooter
04-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has an opinion on which of these brands of brass are the better. I am going to be reloading a 243 WSSM and 223 WSSM and Federal and Winchester are the only companies that offer brass in these calibers.

Any info helps. Thanks.

mag_01
04-01-2006, 06:33 PM
:lol:-I bought some remington brass and it looks cheap--------also bought some Graff---brass---hope its better------------Graff is in 7mm and 7.62x54R----remington was in 8mm---------shot rem. today shot ok for the money-----------what that means I dont know-------Mag:)

versifier
04-01-2006, 07:43 PM
I have used both Federal and WW brass for years and have no complaints with either. I did however hear some members on the CB board that aren't exactly Federal fans for various reasons. I have gotten over 30 loadings in some WW cases in .30carb and over 20 loadings in .22-250, .308, and .30-30, without annealing (.22-250 & .308 are neck sized, but others are not). Those aren't the only rounds I shoot and load, just the ones I shoot and load the most. I don't load hot, I go for accuracy, so how either will perform over time with magnum loads is anybody's guess. While belted magnums are not known for long case life no matter what brand of brass you buy for them, theoretically at least the new short & squat ones ought to do a lot better. I would imagine if you neck size and don't go for max loads, both your brass and barrels will last a good bit longer whichever brand you choose. I don't know where you can get Federal in bulk, and I won't buy factory ammo - my Federal cases have always been once-fired range brass, so I would be buying the WW to start with anyway.

Ableshooter
04-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I have told myself and told myself to resist buying WSSM's but I got a heck of a deal on a Cooper Model 16 in 223 WSSM and a good deal on a AR 15 in 243 WSSM. My deal with both of these rifles is to go for accuracy since they are both set up and bought to be varment rifles. I currently use mostly Winchester brass for all most all my reloading. I am very new to it so I just wanted to pick your brains a bit. Thanks again.

Oldbushman
04-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I prefer WW brass but have used Fedral over the years when I got it cheap & have no complaints about it .I do tend to lean towards WW though . I dislike Remmington brass with a passion esp in the Hornet ! as it seems very brittle from new

Dave

C1PNR
04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm with you, Dave. Remington brass has been less than satisfactory for me, and some of my friends, in the past.

A few years ago at a "Friends of NRA" event I won 300 "new Remington 7mm Magnum" brass in the 100 each packaging. Before I sized and trimmed them, I took a good look at each one.

I had a 2% + FAILURE rate on NEW BRASS, in the factory packaging! I pulled 7 cases out that had holes in the neck and (mostly) shoulder area, some GAPING holes!!

Oh well, corporate profits vs quality control.:rolleyes:

Oldbushman
04-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh well, corporate profits vs quality control.

How true it is ! You really have to sit back & thinik to your self ...Are these Number crunchers trying to save money /increase profits or are they trying to send the company bankrupt Lets face it there was a time when the Name Remmington was the standard by which all other products were judged by ! Not any more I'm afraid :violin:

Dave

Ableshooter
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Another question along these lines. Those of you that reload do you use a neck turner, if so what kind and do you like it. I got a Lyman but I don't think it does a very good job. Any info appreciated.

Oldbushman
04-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Another question along these lines. Those of you that reload do you use a neck turner, if so what kind and do you like it. I got a Lyman but I don't think it does a very good job. Any info appreciated.

Let me just put on my Fire proof suit here :) I personarly don't shave the necks of my cases as I feel this is more to do with uniforming neck thickness which is more of a advantige to Target /Benchrest shooters. I know this can be a hot topic when it comes to reloading .I only reload to hunt /work. that's my $oo.o2 worth

Dave

versifier
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I read all about them in one of the gun rags more years ago than I care to admit and went right out and got the Lyman setup. It's as good as any I've seen except the real fancy (and very expensive) ones. It doesn't take a real fancy system to take down the high spots on a case neck. I bought a bunch of new .308 cases and neck turned half of them. After a thousand rounds or so of trying to see if it made any difference, I couldn't see that there was any I could measure with my rifles out to 200yds. I'm not talking about target or benchrest rifles, just bolt and lever action hunting rifles, but I shot them from a very solid rest, just like I do when working up new loads. Then I tried it with my .22.250 and I did see a slight improvement at the longer ranges, but not much of one.
I bought two sets of Lee Collet Dies in both sizes soon after, and they made the biggest difference of any tooling I have ever bought. And no, neither showed any practical difference when used in combination with the neck turned cases. Again, there was a slight improvement with the .22-250 cases at really long range, but either way you can roll a soda can at 400yds with the rifle, so the little bugger's been sitting on the shelf for quite a while gathering dust on its orange box. I suspect that it would make a difference with a really tight chamber, but that would be useless to me for hunting, and most of the target shooting I do now is with cast at no longer range than 100yds.
One of these days I might get around to ebaying it and other useless goodies I just had to have after reading some overpaid idiot's review. Things are a lot better now. A man can ask at a forum before buying something new and everyone who couldn't resist the impulse will tell him that it's useless and don't waste the money. :mrgreen:

Oldbushman
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
One of these days I might get around to ebaying it and other useless goodies I just had to have after reading some overpaid idiot's review. Things are a lot better now. A man can ask at a forum before buying something new and everyone who couldn't resist the impulse will tell him that it's useless and don't waste the money.

That's music to my ears knowing I'm not the only Dill that has rushed out & brought something that was said to be the greatest thing since canned Beer ! Only to find it was a very expensive dust collector ! The beauty of these forums is you get a honest opion of a product not what some person recives a kick back for telling everyone how good it is !

Dave

versifier
04-05-2006, 07:21 PM
It comes in cans? :mrgreen:

Oldbushman
04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
It comes in cans? :mrgreen:

Yes 10gallon ones ! Their called Kegs :shock: :-D

Dave

rocklock
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM

Most of my shooters are ex-military so I don't go for gilt-edge accuracy.

I do use a neck turner (Lyman) after sizing down cases like .348 Winchester to 8mm Lebel and .45-70 to 8x52R Siamese.

The Lyman seems to do a decent job.

versifier
04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Good point rocklock. There is case forming in my immediate future, so I better hang onto it. The next project (after a month or so of smelting and casting) is going to be a wildcat .308x1.5, so I'm going to have some neck thickness to reduce after forming them from factory .308 cases.

454PB
04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
You might want to consider a neck reamer, rather than a neck turner. I've been using them for years in my 22/250 and 6MM. I used to form brass from .308 Win., since I had lots of it. The reamer fits in my case trimmers, and I feel it does a better and invisible job. They cost about $10.