PDA

View Full Version : Been a long time

kodiak1
05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
:violin: I know this is a sad song I am singing but it seems like forever since I have seen a posting in this web site. :confused:

Hope everyone is well and seeding lead into the backstops at their local ranges!!!

Ther wasn't a mass exodus that I missed I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ableshooter
05-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I have been very busy. Between work and getting all my guns ready for prairie dogg'n not much time to get on here and post.

I have a question for anyone on this board. Have any of you used match primers and are they worth looking into. I have a few guns that are more bench rest shooters than hunting guns and the thrill of shooting a tiny group is always great. Are match primers something that might tighten up groups?

Oldbushman
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I too have been Flat out earning a living having had a fox skin contract to fill ,a Gov goat culling contract & Roo shooting !!!!!! It seems to be either a feast or famine these days ! As for match grade primers ! I think their worth a try it can be a starting point for match grade ammo

Dave

versifier
05-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I might get barbecued for this, but I think if you have good tight custom chambers and guns that are capable of 1/2MOA or better then they would definitely be worth checking out. (If they make no measurable difference when all other factors are identical, then you can still use them for regular loads.) If you're down to the nitty gritty of hand made bullets, custom arbor press dies, neck turning and reaming cases, seating to the nearest .001", etc., then you might be able to actually measure a difference, and that difference might even be enough of an edge to win you a BR match or two. Me, I'm not that fanatical. BR shooters play with magic as far as I am concerned, and I am in awe of what they can do. One decent BR rifle is worth more than the car I drive. :rolleyes:
I read several years ago in one of the gun rags that the only real difference is one of consistency of performance. Filling them is done by hand, and some people have a better technique for it than others, and the production of those workers is kept separate and sold for match use. What happens if Joe or Betty has a bad day? Do they test every day's production for consistency? I don't know. Some years ago I got curious and tried a box with my tack driving varmint rifle and saw no measurable difference at 100, 200, 300, & 400 yds, but that doesn't mean the same would be true for any other rifle. It never hurts to try them because you'll never know until you do.
On the humorous side, I know one shooter who will only use match primers in his .30-06 bolt hunting rifle claiming thay shrink his groups. The amusing part is that even off a bench the gun can't do better than 4" @ 100yds (3shots :D ) and offhand he is very hard put to pass the pie plate test with it. Also good for a chuckle is that he shoots 200 & 220gr bullets at max velocities and has yet to shoot a deer beyond 50yds. The recoil is painful. Still, he gets one most every year. So I guess it takes all kinds.

Ableshooter
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C1PNR
05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Both busy and Computer trouble. Had the hard drive go bad and just got the computer back from the hospital.

As to Match primers, I just look at them as another variable in the load selection process. I'm not trying for BR groups, just want the best I can get from my rifle or pistol.

Sometimes using one primer over another can make a substantial difference. If so, I'll do it. If not, I keep looking.:cool:

bearfighter
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
kodiak

where abouts in alberta are you

i'm in the slave lake area

dale clawson
06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
I have been very busy. Between work and getting all my guns ready for prairie dogg'n not much time to get on here and post.

I have a question for anyone on this board. Have any of you used match primers and are they worth looking into. I have a few guns that are more bench rest shooters than hunting guns and the thrill of shooting a tiny group is always great. Are match primers something that might tighten up groups?
My only experience with match primers was with a custom 22-250 that produced no discernable difference using match over standard primer, .500 groups either way. This is just one rifle. It did prefer match bullets by a wide margin, but this was in 1970's and bullet production has vastly improved since then. I find no fault with Hornady V Max in my .222 and .243, but maybe I should try match componets. Maybe the prarie dogs and such would never notice though.

kodiak1
06-08-2006, 05:19 PM
hey bearfighter I live in the Rimbey Area.
Good to hear from you.
Ken:fighting72:

Oldbushman
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
G'day Bearfighter welcome to the site !

Dave

kodiak1
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Just had to start his post again!! Getting lonesome coming through this sight and never seeing anyone in the last week or so!!!!
Hope you are all just busy or holidaying and not in a bad way.
Ken.

versifier
07-04-2006, 06:14 AM
I hear that, but between chasing and/or driving the kids around and decent enough weather to finally get outside and catch up on smelting and range time, I'm not surprised folks are letting the computer bit slide. I still check in often too, and I'm sure things will pick up when the novelty of no snow/rain wears off and an air conditioned living room becomes more appealing.

Baldy
07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I check every day and I think it was about 4 days straight there was no post. I started to make one last night but the wife came in and gave me my meds and it was off to dream land. What I was going to post is for ever lost in the recesses of a lost mind. Everbody have a Good day.:happy13:

kodiak1
07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Well as long as we all look once in a while. Better if we post a note even if it's just blubbering.
Good to hear from you guys.
Ken.

klausg
07-05-2006, 09:38 AM
kodiak-
Sorry to have been remiss and not posting that much, but it is summer in Alaska, which means damn near 24 hrs of daylight & lots of salmon. Sadly, I have to work to support my shooting, hunting & fishing habits. I will also admit that I spend most of my time on the CB side, and I only check this one out on occassion, or when I need to print up some more targets. That being said, I'm here now. As to match primers, I tend to agree w/ versifier, I've never owned a rifle where they made any appreciable difference, though I did find a deal on a brick of small rifle that are currently being used in my .222. I just started shooting that one last week, so it's still load development time; it's a Savage 24, .222/20 ga. Right now with Rem factory loads it'll keep 15 rounds in 2" at 100yds; not great, but do-able. I'm hoping that some reloads will tighten things up. I also bought a 225415 mould, so I'll be trying some cast in it as well. Wish me luck, take care.
-Klaus

Oldbushman
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
G'dy Fellas I've been out for 17 nights out of 18 this last couple of weeks! I 've been working my Hunting grounds further north . It was a profitable exersise tonnage wise (I averaged 35 to 40 Roos per night ) with most nights ending with 1.5 to 1.8 tonne ! It's great country to shoot as it's open land (on the edge of the desert) My average night was 14 hrs ! :( But! on the bright side one of the Stations I shoot (Sheep & cattle Ranches ) is slap bang in the middle of what is Known as a Prohibited area due to it being the Woomera Rocket range & there for is not open to most Shooters I haven't shot Roos there for several years & well ...... You Blokes Know how it is of a night ....No Fences & boundries get a little muddled :fighting58:

Dave

kodiak1
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey Dave do I smell a story behind that last little bit of info you let out there??????
I sure took it that way, Sounds like well restricted place, tired man, gun!!!!!!!

Man if you have a story come out and embarass your self were all freinds here and chances are you will never ever see us in person.

Ken.

Oldbushman
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Ken ! I'm taking the 5th on this one as there were no wittnesses ! But when you come to the Boundry of a certain Station & all you can see in the very edge of the Spotlight (We work at night as ROOs are nocturnal ) is Large Red Kangaroos who seem to be taunting you as they feel safe as they are in the No Go area &you know for a fact there isn't another living soul in a 4ookm radius of you............................................... .......... Hell even a saint get's tempted every known again:fighting68: Needless to say I personaly would never delibritly violate this boundry & would turn away & continue ,wasting fuel trying to take the quota alloted to the Land owner by the Gov even though there were nowhere near the number of Roos he was allowed to cull

Dave

kodiak1
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Damn Dave after all the greef I have been having with my computer and wanting to shove my fist through the screen, THAT MADE ME LAUGH I think I will be okay for a while now.
Sounds bad and we weren't even there.

Why do we let these damn electrical boxes get us so worked up when they don' t work like we are use to them working?
Blood pressure was probably through the roof.
Thanks Ken.

Oldbushman
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Damn Dave after all the greef I have been having with my computer and wanting to shove my fist through the screen, THAT MADE ME LAUGH I think I will be okay for a while now.
Sounds bad and we weren't even there.

Why do we let these damn electrical boxes get us so worked up when they don' t work like we are use to them working?
Blood pressure was probably through the roof.
Thanks Ken.

Mate. I know where your comming from when it comes to these Damned Puters ! :(
The wife has learnt te danger signs with me & just leaves hers & comes over & fixes the problem for me before it gets to the replacement needed due to operator Temper (normaly about 2.5 seconds after it won't do what I want it to do )

The manager of the Station quized me about the Loads of roos I was bringing into the Chiller & all I could do was avoid eye contact & mutter something about finding a good patch ! When he asked if I'd been Poaching on the Range Land I got suitably upset ! Fancy accusing a Bloke of doing such a thing ! :fighting58: Of course His knew to that particular Station & has'nt had a chance to ask the Owners of my ...........Methords :p

Dave

kodiak1
07-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Well it's good to hear that I am not the only one who has a love hate relationship with this damn electronic box.
POACHING TH NERVE OF THAT YOUNG UP START. Thought you might have asked him how he would like to do a spell in that old cooler!!!!!!
Ken

Oldbushman
07-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Was a time when the Managers on stations over here worked their way up the ladder ! These days their fresh out of Collage /Univrsity & they don't Know SH#T from CLAY when it comes to the commings & goings of us Blokes ! I'm going to ring the Owners & explain the ins & outs before this twit get's me in to trouble

Dave

kodiak1
07-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Would probably be a wise choice.