PDA

View Full Version : Hang Time to let cure?

CEO
12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Almost everyone has their own view on how long they should let big game hang. Basically there are two things you have to think about. Number 1 if you let it hang for a longer time it will get a bit more tender, but you will also lose a lot more meat (due to the trimming that has to be done). But if you let it hang for a short time, it may not be as tender, but you get more meat. If the weather is cold outside I would recommend letting the game hang for no longer than two days, if the weather is warm out, than I would recommend cutting it the same day.

shrpshtrjoe
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Howdy. I would agree on two days some times i might go three depends if im huntin :D . My neighber and i have a cooler box witch makes it nice we set up a little shop in his garage, we have lexon cutting tables ,hamburger grinders,dehydrators,slicers, jerky shooters. People see us with all this stuff and think we know what were doin :D it don't look like it came from the super market but it eats good. Its nice to see other people skinning and cutting there own i get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it my self. I worked for a retired butcher for a couple years (mostly skinned) you would be amazed at how long people would (Age) the deer before bringing it in. Its good to have this kind of info available for newer hunters im sure there taste buds will thank you :)

CEO
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
You can't imagine how many different ways of wild game I have seen brought in. There are people that will let it hang for over a week, people will put pepper ALL over it hoping to keep the flys away. But 2 days is just about perfect. Three days would be ok if its cold out.

shrpshtrjoe
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I hear ya some people are under the impression that thay should hang deer like beef. Beef is hung for longer periods so the fat will harden. Our cooler box gets used by a number of friends so i have bin hanging mine with the hide on ( not prefered) but it keeps the hair outa the meat. I wish i had two cooler box's maybe some day :D

Oldbushman
08-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I have the pleasure of having been a PH all my working life 7 do all my own butchering ! I have a walk in cool Room & always hang Game for no longer than 3days before breaking it up !The thing to remember is that a animal that was not destressed before being shot .Needs less time for the meat to relax that a animal that has been startled before slaughter.Due to the mussel tensing when the animal is alerted to any danger ! In which case it takeslonger for the meat to relax!

Dave

Kletzenklueffer
10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
What do you guys recommend in the following conditions?

It is typicall 30-40*F in the morning, but may get up to 50-60*F by the afternoon.

Say I shoot a deer in the morning. How long can I afford to let it hang before starting butchering?

Is there anything I can wrap it with to help keep off pests/bugs?

Do yall bleed them first? A guy I work with would gut it and skin it, and then let it hang, but he lived in the mountains where it'd stay cold all day long.

Gunload Master
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Good to have you on the new board Kletzenklueffer!

Obviously you need to gut the animal as soon as you kill it. There are some people that actually think you should leave the skin on the animal while it hangs, personally I don't recommend that what so ever. I generally try and skin the animal as soon as I am able to. Either as soon as I get back to camp or as soon as I make it to the garage to hang it. The fur keeps it way to warm for too long, you need to chill it.

As far as bleeding goes....... No.

Generally game bags that you can get at any sportsman's store work great for keeping off pest and such. In fact I heard of a person who used an old sheet and wrapped one up, he came back a day later and there were mice inside the sheet eating his deer.. So I would suggest a game bag that is VERY tight around the animal.

High's in the 60 is still fairly cool, usually in a garage it stays a bit cooler which is always nice. I would say, if you killed it Sunday morning, I would cut it up maybe tuesday morning while it's still cold. But I wouldnt wait until wensday to do it.

Hope I answered everything there :)

rtracy2001
09-07-2009, 09:07 PM
It has been a few years since I have got any game to speak of (Thank you Idaho "trophy management") when I do get a deer, I of course gut it immediately, and cool it off as fast as I can. If I happen to be close (1 hour drive or less) to civilization I drive to the nearest C-store and pack the animal full of ice. (I leave the skin on out of convenience only). Once I am home, the work begins. As soon as I am home I hang it up in the garage or other cool location, then I either hit the sack for a couple hours or skin it immediately. Next morning I skin it if necessary, quarter it, and place the quarters into the freezer until they just start to get hard (cuts easier). The whole critter is cut, wrapped and in the freezer in 24 hours or less if I can manage it. Never once have I had a complaint that my venison is tough, or "just tastes off" as many friends of mine have heard.

Cooling it off wasn't as big a deal when I lived in Maine, with the hunting season at the end of November, the whole state was a walk in freezer. Idaho on the other hand places the season in the beginning to middle of October, and it is just too hot to allow any game to hang longer than necessary.