PDA

View Full Version : What's your faverite Gun stock finnish

Oldbushman
05-29-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm just in the process of finnishing a Stock for a Martini & I got to thinking about what other people like to use to finnish their stocks ? I like to use Scandinavian Teak oil hand rubbed into my stocks ! It's weather proof & gives a beautiful finnish that is rich in texture & dosen't give off any glare or reflect light !

Dave

versifier
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
I like Tru Oil, but I steel wool it really well to keep it matte, as many coats as needed. If it's just a slab of hardwood and not nice walnut, then I will stain to a nice shade and coat with a matte finish water based urethane to seal and stabilize. We get extremes of temperature and humidity that play hob with wood stocks, especially the old linseed oil & paste wax finishes - your POI can shift seasonally by a few inches if you aren't careful. I have one synthetic stock, but it looks like a hunk of plastic and I'm almost embarrassed to carry it. On the other hand, I don't like to bring out a nice piece of walnut hunting and see it get rained on, scratched & dinged, warped, etc. I know more than one person who has one stock for the gun cabinet and another for the field, but I won't go quite that far.

Oldbushman
05-30-2006, 01:26 AM
I must confess that most of my working rifles carry synthetic stocks these days for the same reasons you pointed out ! PLus the fact they tend to get knocked about a fair bit in the course of my working night ! AS for my personal relaxation /recreation firearms ! I get most of my stocks from a chap in Victoria ( Jeff Slee) He does most of his work in Walnut or Black oak & I like to spoil myself when money permits on 90% finnished stocks that he has on offer .I hope one day to have the money to order one of his custom stocks ! But for the time being ,I'll settle for his simple offerings !

Dave

4fingermick
06-18-2006, 02:21 AM
That is sleeve em alone.:)

Oldbushman
06-18-2006, 09:27 PM
That is sleeve em alone.:)

"GROAN":roll: :)

Dave