PDA

View Full Version : crane & winch

Oldbushman
05-29-2006, 07:13 AM
On the Tray of my work Truck I have a winch set up & a arm to lift animals up to dress them .I'm thinking of doing a similar arangement on the rear of my lads shooting car that will bolt to the Tow bar so it can be removed when not in use due to it's hieght when in place ! Has any one else thought of doing this to make field dressing /butchering a little easier on the back ?
Dave

Gunload Master
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I've always thought of new ways to do that, and it sounds like that's a winner!
It's quite a challenge especially when you get a nice sized elk to find a suitable place to skin and hang it.

versifier
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Will you post a picture of your work rig? It sounds like a first class idea. I've been in up to my chin on a moose and it's no fun. I always like the setup at the butcher's shop, though, but never thought about going portable.:)

Oldbushman
05-29-2006, 06:02 PM
I'll post photos of the new idea as soon as I get it off the ground ! THe rig I have on my Tray is just like a Hangman's gallows with a boat winch attached to the rear ! The one I have in mind for the back of the lads car will be of similar design but a lot taller to allow for the height differance ! I have seen a Tripod of 2inch galv pipe with a pulley in the centre of the appex & the winch was attached to the rear of the vehicle or the Recovery winch on the front of the vehicle was used to run through the pulley & the animal was then lifted to the desired height ! This was used forCamel & water Buff & of course was portable

Dave

C1PNR
06-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This is one that I've been thinking about. It fits in the receiver of your trailer hitch so is very portable.

This particular one uses a "come along" as the hoisting mechanism. I presume a brace could be added at the bottom to help support the weight of larger animals.

Not sure how stable it would be side to side with a really large animal. Anyway, this is one person's idea (not mine, I'm no engineer:) ).

Oldbushman
06-15-2006, 07:50 PM
THat is exsactly what I'm building excepting that I'm using a Bat trailer winch on the rear to lift the animal ! The idea works exceptionarly well

Dave

C1PNR
06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I'll be very interested in your experience using that design. I think it would be very handy if you can just slip it out of the receiver and slide it into the bed of the pickup when you're finished.

Are you using 2" square tubing? I think my Brother can weld that stuff if it works.

Oldbushman
06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
I personarlly am going to use 2inch round as I think it's a little stronger than the square but either way I don't think it would be wise to go under 2inches due to the strenght factor .

Dave

versifier
06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I would think that the only part that really needs to be square is the part that fits into the trailer hitch. Considering how much use you will give it Dave, the more rugged the better, also for those who hunt elk, moose, bison, and big bears a little extra strength wouldn't be a bad thing. For the rest that would only have to deal with at most a few deer every fall, I'd think the lighter duty unit as pictured above would be more than enough. The convenience of an electric winch appeals to me, but then I can no longer drag a *%$#&*! deer, never mind lift it and toss it into the back of the truck. :animal23:
I like that the one pictured is designed to allow the tailgate to open, too.

Horseman
11-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I have made 2 deer lifts for the back of my truck and they work very well. I used 2" round pipe. I made the part that fits in my hitch seperate and have a slightly larger pipe that the the 2" pipe of the actual lift slides into. That way the weight of the animal can actually be on the ground and then it pivots and drops that animal in the back of my truck, and back out of my truck with little effort. I do have holes drilled for a pin if I want to drive with the lift in place. I used a block and tackle last year with it but this year when and put on a cable hand grank and it works great too. I don't have a picture right now but will try to take one and post it.

Oldbushman
11-18-2006, 07:05 AM
G'day Horseman welcome to the guide ! I like the thought of having the base being able to be left in place . It also offers the choice of having different height bars depending on the game your after !

Dave