PDA

View Full Version : Silly-wets

versifier
05-29-2006, 04:06 PM
My club is at long last starting a handgun silly-wets program. I have two guns that fit the rules, a TC Contender, and a S&W 686, both in .357 mag. I know that this is not the optimum caliber, but I figure if I can launch a heavy enough boolit it should do the trick. What are the opinions gents?

Oldbushman
05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
There seems to be a great deal of intrest over here in the Field section of Steel in the 357 with heavy loads ! I reckon 180gn bullets & a heavy load out of a 8 3/8 barrel should givedem rams a scare to say the least ! I'm really upset that S&W don't seem to be offering the Long barrel any more in the 686 ! I tried to order one over here & was told they were no loger avalible .So I looked up on their web site only to see no mention of the 8 3/8 barrel offering any more ! I'm not happy about this ! I had thought for a time of rebarreling ,but it would seem I've missed the boat as it were:(

Dave

versifier
05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Dave,
I'll see if I can't scare up a 180gr mould.
As much as I love S&W's, I'm not impressed with what they have been building in recent years. First they redid the hammer/firing pins and complicated what was a simple fudge proof system that worked for more than a century. :confused: (Here in New England we say "If it works, don't fix it." As much as it burns me to admit it, they are in New England.) Then they put in those foolish frame locks. :fighting68: Their QC has been going to hell in a handbasket, too. Huge cylinder/forcing cone gaps you could pass a coin between that they return unfixed saying it's "within spec", and throat diameters varying as much as .05", still "within spec" :mad: . But they do build them down in the Peoples' Republik of Massachusetts, so I guess we can't expect miracles from a place where they've rewritten the Bill of Rights. (There it's the Bill of No Rights Left. :happy69: ) Horror stories on the CB and Accurate Boards. Hard to believe if there weren't so many telling them.
I'd just find a used one made before they "fixed" them, or rebarrel to get what you want. Even if you could get a new one with the longer barrel, you likely wouldn't want it after looking it over.

Oldbushman
05-30-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm lucky in the fact that my 686 is one of the early issues & there was still some semblence of quality control there! I have seen the latest offerings & agree with you whole heartedly on the soddy workmanship that are comming out of their plant ! Mine is due for a rebarrel (she's done a lot of hard work) I think the clincher for me was not being able to secure a 8 3/8 replacement barrel . So I'm looking at trading her off for a Ruger BH in 357 as the Rugers are as cheap as chips over here & the Smiths ,go for top dollar second hand! I can sell my 686 & buy a new BH & make a profit on the deal! Strange I know but that's how the tastes in revolvers go over here

Dave

kodiak1
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
versifier: What in the world is silly-wets????? You got that one way over my head.
Will probably feel real stupid when I hear it in it's long form but please give it to me.
Ken

Love the new smilies they make me laugh, small things for small minds!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldbushman
05-31-2006, 12:29 AM
She's right! Ken, I can give you the good oil on this one! Silly -wets = Metalic sillouette :fighting68: (damn them Rams is small )

Dave

kodiak1
05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Hell I wouldn't have caught that one with a butterfly net! Ken

Baldy
06-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Versifier try this load for your:confused: Silly-Wet.
180gr. JFP ( jacket flat point ).
Bullseye-6.3gr's =1135 FPS.
Unique-7.0gr's =1125 FPS.
Use mag/primers.
You should do good with these loads. Good Luck.:p
Glad you told us what a Silly-Wet is??:fighting58:

Shoot fast make one Hole...:fighting68:

versifier
06-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the loads, I have written them down in my loading notes.