PDA

View Full Version : How trends change

Oldbushman
06-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Over here in Auz back in the 1970's 30-30 lever actions were the rage for Pigs ! I mean to say you could'nt pick up a shooting Mag with out 90% of it's contents being about Pig hunting with a 30-30 ! They would have been the single biggest selling rifle
cart combo for several years over here apart from .22lrs ! Then as fast as they came into vouge they went out of favor again ! I near chocked with laughter tonight , when a young assosiate of mine rang to tell me he'd just got a contract to cull pigs in Queensland & was wondering if a 30-30 lever gun would be up to the task ????? I've dug out some Old shooting mags from the era of the 30-30 being the Pig shooter's rifle of choice & have asked him to come round tomorrow & all will be revieled ! :happy69:

Dave

kodiak1
06-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Isn't that the truth every generation thinks they are exploring new territory!
If they consontrated and give it ten minutes worth of real good thought they would see that yes it will work. Can you imagine when the 30-30 first came out how many bear, buffalo, deer and men were killed with them.
Ken.

Oldbushman
06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Yep who said they could'nt reinvent the wheel ?

Dave

kodiak1
06-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Everytime though they come out with that great gusto of how really really good this thing really is and you just have to try it. Better than sliced bread, then you tell them how you have been there got the T shirt and they give you that look!!!
Just like you shot their puppy and you did it while they were watching. I just don't remember that part but I sure have seen it with my kids.

It's funny that you bring up the 30-30 I had a Marlin the straight pistol grip to small of a gun Dad. So okay I sell it had a neighbor that wanted it really bad so I let him have it. That was about 5 years ago just last month we go to a gun show and here comes the kid with this Marlin box and the old s**t eatin grin. What you got? Oh I just bought a 30-30 Marlin the one with the curved pistol grip everyone should have one of these old guns around.
We'll have to stop on the way home and pick up a box of shells I got to try it out. So I tells him I have 200 rounds at home loaded left over from when I had a 30-30. Well I didn't know that!!!!!
Makes you want to give him the old kicking smilie:fighting72:
Ken

Oldbushman
06-08-2006, 06:52 PM
The Young Bloke turned up early this morning ! He was a broken man when he left !!! :fighting72: He got his first leason in "Been there, done that " All he could ask wasdid anybody use anything but 30-30's in those days ??? I was able to reasure him after the 30-30 craze it was several years of which was the better Round 22-250 or the swift? Followed by the lightning effect of the 17rem & then .........& so on !:happy59:

Dave

kodiak1
06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Jeez Dave I hope you let him down easy.
Ken.

Oldbushman
06-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Jeez Dave I hope you let him down easy.
Ken.

I'd like to think he found out what the expression "Learning Curve" means:happy69: It was a leason on why I have always tried to tell him & other young shooters "Don't take what these "Gun scribes" write for gospel .As it's the same ones who have been writing the same self opinionated Crap for years ! It's how they make a living ! They do just as the Manufacturers tell them :fighting58: ! If you want info talk to as many shooters as you can !:fighting68:

Dave

kodiak1
06-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve. Don't ask and ye shall stay in the dark or ignorant.
Yes that sound familiar.
Ken.

Oldbushman
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve. Don't ask and ye shall stay in the dark or ignorant.
Yes that sound familiar.
Ken.

It's the Old cry isn't It ? Experiance is something you get 5mins after you needed it :happy36: I suppose this is something that you learn as you get Older .when in doubt ask

Dave

4fingermick
06-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Its hard to walk into an aussie gun shop and not find an old 92 or two, invariably in 32/20 and a 94 or two in 30/30 and the occasional Marlin in 30/30. There is a prolifiration of pistol calibre levers available now, compliments of the cowboy craze. Mick.