PDA

View Full Version : What's your Favorite time in the Bush /out doors

Oldbushman
06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
What's your Favorite time to hunt /fish or generaly be out in the outdoors /bush ? For me it's morning about dawn as it means my working night is comming to a close & the world around me is waking up & both myself & other nocturnal creatures are settling for the day ! I love Spring as the weather is quite pleasent & it is a great time to take the kids out & show them what nature has to offer!

Dave

dale clawson
06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm hard pressed to select a favorite time, as I love to study all of nature in as many situations as possible. I like the early morning and evening hours best probably, but I also want to know where the animals are and what they're doing in the middle of the day, how can I find them, observe them, catch them, call them, etc. There's so much to learn from and about them. I've enjoyed night hunting, sometimes to the exclusion of all other hunting when hunting for fur or wild hogs. In areas without pressure, you can observe behaviors you wouldn't normally see. I've fished all hours, and it's interesting how animal activity changes with moon phases, temperatures, and seasons. I guess anytime I can get out is my favorite time. Rattlesnakes tend to move more at night in the warm season, we drive the paved rural roads with little traffic after the night has cooled to catch them warming on the warm asphalt. In the heat of the day, we find them in the shady places that we have learned attract them. When you find or observe an animal, always ask why now, why here, what is the attraction? Catalog this information and compare it to what you know and what you learn in the future. So many people look, but do not see, listen, but do not hear. Well, you may get the impression that I'm a student of nature. I have been for only 60 years, but I'm learning.

versifier
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I like any season but spring to be out and in it. In northern New England, spring means mud, flood, and black flies (AKA gnats or midges elsewhere). They're enough to push any man right over the edge. A few hot days in a row and they're under control for another year. And if it ever stops raining around here, we might get a break.... Bats and trout are about the only things that like the little bloodsuckers. Once they're past, we'll be shooting, canoeing, hiking, and possibly climbing again, with the occasional woodchuck (ground hogs to you non-Yankees) hunting expedition for variety. My youngest has decided she wants to take up fishing this year. We'll know in a few days if she can handle the worms or if it will be strictly lures. My shooting club has a big stocked trout pond for the kids, so she can fish there after she's tired of shooting her .22 and I'm busy testing out my handloads. Come fall we'll get serious about hunting. I'm probably going to have to start looking for a .243 or a .250 Savage for her pretty soon.

Oldbushman
06-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Versifier .I fore see many pleasent hours out on the range for you & your Daughter to keep you company. Just Burning Powder & drowning worms ! A really plesant way to spend a nice sunny day I reckon ! Dale. Like you I like to think of myself as a student of nature. My faverite Place a ways up north where I do a lot of my Summer shooting has a natural Spring & a series of Pools all year round & boasts a colony of Platypuss! These are a very shy creature & I can sit quietly sit for hours & watch them going about their daily cores ! Even Ants are a natural Baromiter to me as when there is big rains about they close up their nests ! There is always something to try & work out where it fits in to the big scheme of things !

Dave

kodiak1
06-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I love the spring when stuff is starting to turn green and the snow is gone.
The streams and rivers have the ice off them. At about seven in the morning as the sun is getting up it just seems the whole world is coming to life all around you. Birds singing you see animals moving about. To me this is got to be how it is in heaven, not that I'll get there.
Ken.

Baldy
06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
When I lived in Northern Indiana me and my one daughter would get to the Lake right before sun up. Get out on the Lake and start to fish. All of Gods creatures would come down for a drink before they would lay down for the day to rest. We would take great pleasure in this and sometimes for get about fishing for a while. To this day she has a great love of nature as I do. We only take the game we are going to eat and marvel at everything else.:happy13:

kodiak1
06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Isn't it funny you get accused of hurtin, harrasing, maming and killing wildlife and doing all sorts of attrocities and yet we are the people that get to see all the beauty of it. Go figure. It almost makes a person wish there was a catastrophe so that some of these looser whiners would get their's, but that will never happen.
I am going to keep on enjoying nature till she comes and takes me away. I could even enjoy it if I lost my eyesight it would be one of the things that I could and would want to see in my mind.
Ken.

Oldbushman
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm right in the Line of Fire when it comes to the Old Aussie antage If it moves shoot it ,If it dosen't Chop it down ! I always offer people who accuse me to come out & actualy see what I do for a living & try to explain that as a Pro shooter I'm & those like me are the greatest consevationists alive ! If we were to Kill anything that moves (as we're always accused ) WE would be out of a job in about 6mths ! We live & work in the same country as these Tree Hugging do gooders come out en mass to protest (& leave their waste ,trample undergrowth ,drive animals away due to a large presance of humans yelling & screaming )

Dave

versifier
06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
We've talked about lobbying for an open season on the tree huggers, but the taxidermists just won't cooperate - not furry enough and the skin tones are very difficult to get right. :happy69:

Oldbushman
06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
We've talked about lobbying for an open season on the tree huggers, but the taxidermists just won't cooperate - not furry enough and the skin tones are very difficult to get right. :happy69:

I tried the same thing over here I was going to skin em out & sell em as "wet suits" But being as they are also known as the great unwashed over here! We could'nt work out how to get the smell out of em :happy36:

kodiak1
06-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Dave can't you legally feed them to the Great White's down there? I thought that woul;d be legal.
We tried feeding them to the bears up hear but they kept giving them the runs and Gas. Felt sorry for the bears.
Ken

Oldbushman
06-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Dave can't you legally feed them to the Great White's down there? I thought that woul;d be legal.
We tried feeding them to the bears up hear but they kept giving them the runs and Gas. Felt sorry for the bears.
Ken

Funny you should ask that ! One night a Mate & I had a Tree hugger hanging from a rope in the Gulf (Spencer) down in Pt Augusta as there had been several sightings of a Great White !!!! Of course our treehugger was screaming his lungs out & threshing around ! Who should walk down the Jetty but "Billy Graham" himself!!!!! He looked over & said that it did his heart good to see two men assisting another & wandered on ! Me Mate said "who was that?" I said "that me old Mate was Billy Graham!!!! If ya want to know about God his the man to ask !" My Mate paused to throw another rock at the "Hugger" who had started to climb up the rope (the rock knocked him back into the water) Then replied " He might be right up on religion!!! But he don't know much about ........Shark fishing:fighting72: "

Dave