PDA

View Full Version : G'day

4fingermick
06-18-2006, 02:41 AM
I came accros the link on cast boolits.

I'm a multi disciplinary shooter, love levers, military rifles, classic bolt guns and pistols, inc 1911s, autos S&Ws and Ruger SAs, shoot target pistol regularly and target rifle occasionally. Compete in cowboy action (strictly big bore, althought I've had a bit of gun problems lately and have been forced to use my 357Rossi 92 clone and as such can't give my mate Roscoe a hard time for shooting a sissy gun). Shoot everything from hi vel Weatherby mags to 45/70 cast BP single shots, love it all.

Also into reloading (started over 30 years ago), casting (started over 20 years ago) and 4wds. I have two, a 1991 Nissan wagon which has been burning up the beach at Stockton lately and a 1967 Landrover with a 265cu in 6 cyl motor aboard.

If it goes bang or makes a noise and blows smoke, I'll stand behind it.

Looking forward to retirement in a few years so I can catch up with my reloading.

Mick

4fingermick
06-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, I tend to talk a lot. This either endears me to people or gives them a complete dose of the $hits. Bad luck, thats just me. Maybe I should have chosen a handle like loquacious or something like that.

kodiak1
06-18-2006, 06:02 PM
mick good to hear from you. Welcome from Western Canada.
Have read some of your posts the backend seems to be staying fairly tight!!!
Thanks Ken.

Oldbushman
06-18-2006, 09:10 PM
G'day Mick ! "Stockton" A "Newy" Boy then ? I'm from in the Flinders Ranges down south of youse ! Hell nothing wrong with being a talker ! That's what we want round here . Know where your commin from about big bore shooting . I shoot small stuff at work & then big bore stuff in my spare time !

Dave

Robertbank
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Two Auusies and two Canucks what a combo. I'm living West of Kodiak1 now in Terrace, B.C. IF you are from my home town Edmonton, Alberta you just get on highway 16 west and if you hit the ocean you went 150 kilometers to far. Best to my pal Dave, enjoy your posts 4fingermick, you all take care and enjoy your winter. Summer Spring Salmon are running and this year I am going to get one if I have to you handgrenades to get one! Fellow next to me caught a little 18lb. salmon this morning.

Bob

Oldbushman
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
G'day Bob ! Yep us colonials are slowly taking over the world ! :happy69:

Dave

versifier
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I think it's a done deal, Dave. What's for dinner? :)
Sounds like you've been keeping yourself more than a little busy. All that happens around here this time of year is too many tourists, the occasional woodchuck, a few raccoons in the garden, and watching out for moose on the roads at night. A little trout fishing and some range time with my dad and the kids when the sun isn't too hot or the bugs too hungry is about as exciting as we want it. I'd really like to see a photo of a good night's work for you, and I bet I'm not the only one who's curious. Rooos aren't exactly your common sight in New England!

Bob, 18lbs?!!! I don't think I have ever seen a fish that big that didn't come out of the ocean, except maybe a cat fish down south, (not the kind we have around here). Hell, that would feed my family for two weeks! Post a picture of some if you get a chance, I want to see my daughter's eyes bug out. The brookies and rainbow trout we catch run four or five to the pound usually, but sometimes we get a big brown that goes three lbs, though not often. Lake trout and landlocked salmon can run that big, too, but they are usually caught through the ice, and fishing at -20F on a windswept lake isn't my idea of a good time. But, back when it was still legal, my friends who were into it would leave their "trash fish" on the ice and I would shoot the coyotes who came to clean them up from a sheltered spot on the shore. Some tree huggers from down in the flatlands got a bill rammed through the legislature and now we have next to no deer up here and damned few partridges (grouse to you non-Yankees!). They have too many deer in the southern part of the state, but a man is pretty much limited to bow hunting down there as it is too thickly settled. Up here where you can still pee on you front lawn without the neighbors getting upset (unless the have telescopes :) ) it's coming down to turkeys or target shooting. Oh well, maybe time to move noth again....

Robertbank
08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Well I did it. I caught my first Spring (King Salmon in Alaska). It weighed 40 lbs. My son, Gordon, caught a 30 lb. and lost three that may have been bigger.

I also managed a 14 lb Pink Salmon.

Excellent eating. Looking forward to the Coho season which starts Sept 1. They only run to 15 lbs or so but they are sure good to eat. Here is a picture of me and my fish.

Take Care

Bob

versifier
08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
That's quite some fish, Bob! :shock: My daughter is going to be some impressed, too. Thanks for posting the picture. It does my heart good to know that people actually can catch fish like that somewhere.

Robertbank
08-21-2006, 08:54 PM
First one in three years of trying. Actually caught it on a hook! Son and I are going to make it an anuual event. Kind of nice to spend two weeks with my oldest sitting in a chair by a river, watching eagles fly by and telling lies. Glad he caught one too. I am blessed.

Take Care

Bob

Robertbank
08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi

The long horizontal part of the river in the background is where I caught the fish - on Chicken Bar. Picture was shot from the top of Copper Mountain. If you have a four wheel drive vehicle you can drive to the top of the mountain. City of Terrace is on the right.

Take Care

Bob