PDA

View Full Version : Coho!!

klausg
08-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey gang-

Greeting from the Great Land, while you guys are sweltering down in the lower 48, we are currently experiencing some rather abnormal weather of our own. This summer the Anchorage bowl has been lucky to break 70 degrees F, which is nice, but the 40's at night are no fun, in August??. It's especially bad at my favorite spot for silver (coho) salmon. The wind always blows right off the Knik glacier into your face. I never thought I would be wearing a Carhartt Arctic jacket in July/August but it's either that or quit fishing, (not likely). Anyway, thought you guys might want to know that the silvers are in, big time; last weekend I caught around twenty each day before I finally got tired & killed my last fish. The silvers are so thick in there that you can feel your lure bumping into them as you retrieve it and there is nearly always around a dozen fish milling around within 8 feet of where you're standing. The lures of choice are number 4 spinners of almost any variety/color combination and if the water level is up, (something that won't happen unless it actually warms up and melts some of the glacier) 1/2 oz Pixie spoons. Cut the trebles off & replace with 2/0 Siwash hooks, otherwise you'll spend too much of your time & energy snagging fish, (trust me, a PO'd salmon with a hook in his back, gut, tail, wherever will wear you out). Anyway that's the fishing report from up here, I hope the weather finally breaks for you folks down south, tight lines for everyone.

-Klaus

Baldy
08-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Glad to here you knocking them out. I am down here in Florida and it's 95 in the shade. Sure would like to up there with you Klaus hammering them silvers. Good luck and keep fishing.. Baldy.

C1PNR
08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Two weeks ago we were in the process of equaling a record for most days of triple digit temperatures. Ended up 9 or so in a row!:shock: Last week it cooled off to the upper 80s, but this week it's back up to mid to high 90s.

It's not too bad as long as the cloud cover stays away and it can cool off overnight. Humidity stays down too. Actually rather pleasant to be out later in the afternoon. But the fishing is poor. River is high and hot weather puts the fish down in the local ponds.

It'll get better real soon, though, so I'm not too worried.:-D

Robertbank
01-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Here is my 40lb Spring from last July. Kinda small but sure good eating.

Take Care

Bob