PDA

View Full Version : Lethal wasp sting

dale clawson
10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
My cousin, Larry Gruben, was stung by a wasp while taking down ceiling tiles this week. He was only a few blocks from a clinic, and went immediately to get a shot, but quit breathing and died anyway. He was 55. Just a warning to be careful and if you are alergic, carry a kit with you at all times as you never know when the reaction will escalate into a real serious situation.

Oldbushman
10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Down South of us ,they have problems with Eroupean Wasps ! apparently they are ver y agressive & have been responsible for several deaths ! Their about the same size as a normal bee yet can sting repeatedly & swam at the smell of the first one stinging ! I'm sorry to hear of your loss !

Dave

Flyboy
11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
My cousin, Larry Gruben, was stung by a wasp while taking down ceiling tiles this week. He was only a few blocks from a clinic, and went immediately to get a shot, but quit breathing and died anyway. He was 55. Just a warning to be careful and if you are alergic, carry a kit with you at all times as you never know when the reaction will escalate into a real serious situation.
Dale,
Sorry to hear of your loss.
My prayers for his family.

ak257
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss......it is never easy to lose someone.

Up my way the yellowjackets and hornets were especially nasty this past summer and there were 2 deaths reported in the area from stings. I got nailed twice, once while cutting firewood and once at a picnic. When things started freezing up I went back to the spot where I was stung cutting wood and had my revenge on the little ba****ds!!

versifier
11-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the forum ak257. I like your method. Around here, the skunks usually take care of most of the ground nests, so the nastier ones have learned to use standing dead trees to get themselves up and out of the danger zone. Not all of them have learned however, and it seems like it's usually farmers who discover the biggest ground nests while haying. When I was a working electrician, there was a local fad of putting spotlights under trees to illuminate the foliage at night. I used to get nailed weekly. Finally I learned to scatter dry catfood around where I would have to bury the wires a few days before. The skunks would come to scarf it up, and still hungry, would find most of the nests. It didn't always work, but I would usually see the evidence on the lawns where they'd been dug out and that improved my attitude considerably. I am thankfully not allergic to them, but those who are do well to carry anaphalaxis kits like Epipens (just like going armed to urban areas) to avoid tragedies. My ex has one in her purse at all times, and when they expire, she has the kids practice for emergencies by injecting the old ones into oranges.

Baldy
11-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear of the familys lost. My condolences to all the family and friends.

GSPKurt
12-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I found out the hard way I am allergic to fire ants. I got a nice ambulance ride to the hospital. I now carry an Epi pen anytime I am outdoors.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for the reminder.