PDA

View Full Version : Speer Grand Slams

Deathwind
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd like some feedback on grand slams good/bad.I'am thinking of loading up some 160's for my 7mm rem.mag. for deer hunting.:fighting68:

versifier
11-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Well, this is what I can tell you based on what I have been told by other loaders & hunters. (I load Nosler Partitions when I need premium performance that Sierras or my own cast cannot give me, but it is a personal preference of my rifle.) GS bullets are reported to perform fantastic on heavy N.Am. game like moose, elk, bear, etc., a very good balance of expansion and weight retention. I know several locally that use them on deer and up and they are very happy with their performance out to 200yds. Like NP's, however, they are not generally known as super accurate bullets, not that it makes too much difference when you are shooting at something large up close. Most really good hunting bullets are not match accurate, though there are exceptions. My usual hunting rifle, a .308, prefers the NP's, but the difference in group size, while not great, is still enough to have me lean towards the better accuracy, for greater confidence if nothing else. But, other rifles can and do have just the opposite preference. Practically speaking, any big game rifle that will shoot a 4" group offhand @ 100yds will be in the kill zone out to 200. I tend to choose the most accurate load and will not consider one that will not do better off the bench than 2" @ 100yds, (I like to see them around 1" or less when possible) and I shoot 10-shot groups. The most important factor is what does your rifle like best? I know only too well that testing premium hunting bullets can get expensive very quickly, but I would still advise trying more than one brand and more than one weight. Maybe you can't do a bunch this year, but save the targets or make good notes from the ones you can and try something different next year to compare them. The results are often surprising.

If it were me, I think I would lean to the lighter 145gr GS in your 7mmM for deer, easier on the shoulder, flatter shooting, and I don't think there is any real advantage to the heavier slug on deer-sized game. I tend to go with lighter jacketed medium bore bullets, and usually heavier with cast where the velocity is so much lower. 140's in the 7mm perform like 150's in .30cal, and that is my preferred weight for deer. 160(7mm) & 180(.30) I feel are for larger game where penetration is more of an issue. Where you are, shots can get long too, though, so maybe the greater retained energy of the heavier slugs beyond 200yds could be a factor.

Many hunters, and I am not placing you in this category, use twice what they need to hunt deer with, figuring incorrectly that a little more energy will make up for lack of practice. As you know, it doesn't - a gutshot with a .50BMG is still a gutshot, while a heart shot with a .223 will fill the freezer. We have taken several deer with cast 120grFNGC .30cal boolits, one shot kills, though we were extremely careful with shot placement and took only broadside shots. It is not a load for the easily excitable. We always get a chuckle when people come up here to hunt deer (where the woods are thick and most shots are on the order of about 30yds) carrying BIG magnums like .300, .338, Weatherby's, etc., with long barrels and high magnification scopes. :p If they come back the next year, then they bring Marlin and Winchester .30-30 levers with open or peep sights.

kodiak1
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Deathwind have loaded a few boxes for my 375 H&H man do they stop a moose dead in their tracks. Two years a go shot a cow at 275 yards, she didn't run 1 step fell over rolled on to her back and made about three kicks in the air and that was the end of the show. I like them for the bigger game like Verifier said.:fighting68:
Ken

Deathwind
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys i appreciate it. I have done a little experimenting with different bullets such as nosler partitions,nosler ballistic tips,accubonds and sierras and some where good and bad. I found the partitions don't expand that great on deer but work good for elk,moose. The ballistic tips where accurate beyond belief but the 3 deer i used them on looked like i used a hand grenade with a lot of ruined meat. I had a complete bullet failure with the sierras and it fragmented (which isn't usual for sierras) so i've decided to try the grand slams next. Your probably right about using 145 grs.but i do a lot of open country hunting and a 300 yd.shot isn't out of the norm so i like using the 160's. Thanks again.:fighting68:

versifier
11-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Many people that try to push Sierras at magnum velocities have had problems with them failing, especially at close range. For the 150, 165, & 180gr .30 cal GK's that I use the most of in .308 & .30-06, they go out at 26-2800MV and have performed well on deer, black bear, and moose (though moose are the reason I worked up the NP load). Despite what Sierra tells you, I do not recommend the three of them above 3000fps. I am assuming their 7mm & 8mm PH & GK's to be the same. I feel the same way about Nos BT's, and your experiences only confirm it. At extreme ranges in magnum cases, both are reported to perform well, I imagine because they have slowed to their best working velocity ranges.
I have heard good things about Barnes Triple Shocks for both performance and accuracy at higher velocities, you might want to put them on your list.

Deathwind
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Tried out the 160 grand slams on sunday afternoon and their ok 1 1/2"group at 100 yds.which is ok for deer hunting. Also tried some of my 160 speer boattails with the same powder and charge and got 1" groups.I guess i'll see how they perform on game but i also wonder about the grand slams weights as only about 4 out of 10 weighed the proper 160 and some where as high as 161.2 and low as 159.4 ??.The old box of partitions i had all weighed pretty much right on the 160 as did the sierras.:fighting68: