PDA

View Full Version : Hunting laws how they differ

Oldbushman
11-18-2006, 05:54 AM
I have always found your Laws over in the States to be quite interesting . They differ from ours greatly probarly due to your larger population !

Over here basicly the laws in SA are divided into 2 main groups one is the common hunting permit which covers a sporting hunter to take any Feral species ie , Rabbit ,hare ,Goat ,Fox ,Dingo ,pig , Donkey ,Brumby (wild horses ), Deer ,Camel & there is no season or Bag limits & Spotlighting is considered legal ! The Hunter must obtain permission from a land owner or hunt on Crown land .

The second is Duck hunting & this is governed by a license that is obtained after doing a exam & has a limited season & limited bag Numbers !

My class of license Falls into the Taking of protected species (although I'm also licensed to take feral animals ,which I do on a commercial basis ) I had to back in the yr 2000 take a variety of courses to continue a a Roo shooter when the meat became avalibe for the Human consumption market . I am limited to a Tag system for a designated Number of Roos to be harvested from each property I shoot ,on Now where as a common hunting permit costs about 20.00 per year Mine costs me $750.00 per year + a $250.00 vehical accreditation fee

versifier
11-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Dave,
They're different in every state, and often vary within the state as to bag limits and season lengths. Here in NH, you have to pass a Hunter Ed safety course, then you can shoot varmints on other peoples' land (coyotes, skunks, porcupines, raccoons if they're in your garden, woodchucks, etc.). You don't need a license to hunt your own land, but you have to follow season and bag limits. There are tags on the license for deer (one), bear (one & it costs extra), and turkey (two - one in spring with shotgun - tom only, one in fall archery only, either sex & it costs extra), muzzleloader gets you an extra two weeks before regular deer season starts but no extra tag & it costs extra, archery (you need a Bowhunter Ed course first) and you get one extra deer tag and three month season. Upland birds - partridge (ruffed grouse) and woodcock, and also varying hare - pheasant you need a special license as they're not native and are all bred and released (how many depends on previous years permit sales). Ducks and geese you have to buy state and federal stamps and put them on your license, the feds set the seasons and bag limits. There are special seasons for night hunting raccoons and hunting bear with dogs, too. Moose hunting permits are awarded by a special lottery and you have to pay for a special license if you win and attend a special seminar. About the only feral critters we have are dogs and cats, and everyone just shoots them (shoot, shovel, and shut up).
It sounds like you have it simpler regulation-wise, but more expensive. Most of the extra tags and permits aren't very expensive, there are just a nitpicky lot of them you have to be aware of. If you get caught without what you need, though, then it can get really expensive. :fighting58:

kodiak1
11-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Alberta is divided into 5 Area and I would guess 250 Zones between the 5 areas.
All of Alberta is draw for Antlered or Anterless Moose and Special Calf Draws.
Most of Alberta is Draw for Mule Deer but there is a few zones up North I believe that are General.
White Tail Deer are general for Antlered through out the province with a few zones draw for Anterless
Elk probably half the zones are 3 point or better General Some are even 6 point or better with about 60% of the zones being draw for Anterless.
Antelope is all Draw even for Bow Season Antlered or Anterless.
Goat, Sheep, Grizzly and Turkey are all Draw.
Black Bear is a General Boer or Dry Sow (No Cubs)
This is pretty close I am probably out a little bit but not to much.

You are limited to the tags you can get also in a certian way only one Mule Tag, One Elk Tag and One Moose tag Very seldom you get all or most of the tags that you have applied for.
Ken.:fighting68: