PDA

View Full Version : K Hornet

Oldbushman
11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm very seriously considering sending my Hornet down to my Barrel Guy & getting him to run a K Hornet reemer through it ,This gives the case ,a much sharper shoulder & increased case capsity ! They've been round for years ,it's just I've never really thought about them ! The cases are easily fire formed by just chambering a standard Hornet & fireing it . As I figure it's going to be a Hornet year this winter due to fox numbers I figure why not, get a little more out of the Old Girl ?

Dave

Bullshop Junior X2
11-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I'v never had a 22 k Hornet, if you get one, let me know how it shoots, I would like to know how it does. Dad's Hornet shoots so good that you'ld be shocked.
TONY/BS/JR.X2

Oldbushman
11-19-2006, 10:40 PM
The converstion over to K hornet is quite simply a reamer run through the chamber ! Making it a improved round ! It makes extraction easier in actions like the martini & stops the flow of brass in the case to a degree ! The Hornet & I go back over 40 yrs & Nothing that little round can do amazes me anymore ! Years ago when the .22 Mag was introduced ,it really knocked the Hornet over here ! But at the price of .22mag ammo ,shooters are slowly starting to realise that the Hornet is by far the cheaper & harder hitting of the two !

Dave

Bullshop Junior X2
11-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I do know what the k hornet is, its the original hornet improved. I just got done cleaning my hornet (Dad made this cleaning detergent that we call gunk, thats what it looks like gunk!) that gunk works so good gets your barrel right down to the bare steel! But when your done using the gunk you have to clean your barrel with kano kroil or something of that sort.
:fighting58:
TONY/BS/JR.X2

props
11-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Just make sure to lightly oil the cases before forming them. The Hornet case is so thin that they tend to separate when forming if you don't. The fellow shooting next to me at the range one Saturday was losing about every other case to separations. I told him about oiling them and he never lost another case.

Cheers, good luck with the K Hornet, its a neat cartridge.

Phil

Bullshop Junior X2
11-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Oil them with what?
While I'm on the subject I would like to know some good/excellent loads for the 22 Hornet, I did have a good load for it, but we found out that the powder we were using isn't made anymore, so I'm trying to find a good load for it. My load was 6.5gn of 630 p and we also found out that 6.6gn of accurate number 9 should be the same but I haven't tried it yet. If you know more tell me.
TONY/BS/JR.X2

props
12-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Just a LIGHT wipe with an oily patch, kind of oil doesn't matter, just about anything like GI "Oil, Preservative, Light" or something of that ilk. No teflon or super lubes like Triflow or BreakFree necessary.

Cheers,

Phil

trishbob40
12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm very seriously considering sending my Hornet down to my Barrel Guy & getting him to run a K Hornet reemer through it ,This gives the case ,a much sharper shoulder & increased case capsity ! They've been round for years ,it's just I've never really thought about them ! The cases are easily fire formed by just chambering a standard Hornet & fireing it . As I figure it's going to be a Hornet year this winter due to fox numbers I figure why not, get a little more out of the Old Girl ?

Dave

G'Day Oldbushman
I have a bruno model 2 hornet i had it made into a k hornet
and it shoots unreal five shots into twenty cent piece at 90 mtrs
no trouble to head shoot a roo at 200 mtrs plus
i use 45 g win bullets hollowpoints
13 grns of ar2205 powder
rem 71/2 prim
vel 3000 plus
max case lenth 35.63mm
trim to lenth 35.38
:fighting68:

versifier
12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum trishbob40. How big is a 20cent piece?

trishbob40
12-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the forum trishbob40. How big is a 20cent piece?

HI
sorry about that .......about the size of a beer bottle top

versifier
12-06-2006, 10:09 AM
No biggie, I've been questioned about similar over on CB after posting group sized based on American coins. It's amazing how many countries are represented in the membership of all three fora. It just occurred to me that posting group sizes in inches is likely to cause the same problem with many. Guess I should flip the ruler over more often for clarity. Thanks for making me think more about it. :)

Oldbushman
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
G'day TB Great to see another Aussie on the guide ! I've got a heap of work for Sprinters in the New year & so I'm going to sneak the Hornet in & get it done at the same time ! It's one of those things I've thought about for years & never bothered about, but this year I'm being pestered to do a season of Fox control around here ! So I thought I'd take the plunge !

Dave

props
12-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Best load I have for the straight Hornet is 10.8 grains of WW296, WW primer, WW brass, and the Speer spitzer soft point 40 grain Hornet bullet. If you aren't restricted by magazine length the Sierra 40 grain high velocity hollow point bullet shoots exceptionally well but it needs to be seated out so far that it won't function through many magazines.

Cheers,

Phil

Oldbushman
12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I use a 40gn Hollow point that was designed for the .22mag (Winchester ) out of my Hornet I use WW cases & primers & either 8.2 gns of H4227 (AR2205) or more recently I've found a load of 10gns of H4198 (AR2207 ) has tightened my groups by halves ! I get my projectiles in bulk from my Gun guy & their dynimite on Foxes & rabbits .

Dave